Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help me get this off the shelf!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GraspTheMoment

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:02 am    Post subject: Help me get this off the shelf! Reply with quote

I posted ages ago that I inherited my grandfather's camera.

I was told I might need film holders, and the project got sidetracked. Today I took some shorts of all the stuff I have, hoping you guys could help me ID it and steer me in the right direction.

Here's the back of the camera...

How do I attach a film roller on that?

I have quite a few of these...

They hold film sheets correct? Can I use these somehow?

Here's the serial number ... I was asked to provide that.. not sure what it can tell me.

I don't have a darkroom, or space for a darkroom, or knowledge of where the hell to begin to work in a darkroom, so is there a way I can buy film and send it to be developed?

Any help at all, I'd really appreciate it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The serial number will usually lead to a modes and format size but your serial number falls into the batch that was not listed except for model and large group batch. From the pictures you posted it is a 1947-1951 Pacemaker Crown Graphic with a Graphic (spring) Back, a Graflex flash (star w___ flavor), a ? side rangefinder and a Kodak Ektar lens in Supermatic X shutter. The camera is 4x5 format. 4x5 sheet film is currently available.
http://cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_5.html is an instruction manual for this series of camera.
GraspTheMoment

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!!!

Is there anyway this can be made to work?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can load the film in a changing bag, such as: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/25001-Photoflex-Changing-Room, which what I use.

Since you do not have a darkroom you will need a daylight tank. Tray development must be done in a darkroom. There are several choices for daylight tanks, some are not so good like the Yankee Tank which can have uneven development; some are much better. Others can tell you about the better and best daylight tanks.

I use a Jobo Processor and the Expert Drums, which is not a short term low cost solution, so that I can process both black & white and color film. I can use the above mentioned changing bag for load the large drum that I use for processing as well as load film holders and Grafmatic 45 film holders.

Steve
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.butzi.net/articles/filmload.htm

As Steve says but then send out the negatives in a lightproof box to a lab and ask them to return the box with the processed negatives. You may have a lab near you and you can take them the loaded film holders with exposed film and they will unload them in their processing room while you wait.

Another alternative is to buy a Roll Film Holder, have it mounted in place of the focus panel, and shoot 120 roll film with the camera. Roll film holders are made for 4x5 cameras in 3 image formats 6x6; 6x7; and 6x9.
Older Graflex holders :
Graphic 22- 2 inch x 2 inch or 6cm x 6cm images.
Graphic 23- 2 inch x 3 inch or 6cm x 9cm images.
Newer models:
RH12 for 12 6cm x6cm,
RH10 for 10 6cm x 7cm,
RH8 for 8 6cm x 9cm,
images per roll of 120 film.
hartwell_a_m

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check with the various pro shops in New York, most of them carry film and will send it out to be developed for you. You will probably want to get a book on large format photography too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: