Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recovering the front door - self adhesive leather or not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruiser

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Recovering the front door - self adhesive leather or not? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just a quick answer needed if possible. I have a 4x5 Anniversary Speed that has lost the leather on the front door and intend recovering it with the Morrocco type pebble grain leather from cameraleather.com

Would it be best to use the self adhesive type leather or the standard type using a contact adhesive? It's that raised area in the middle of the door that has me worried. Is this type of leather flexible enough to do this?

Cheers,
Bruce
http://graflex.coffsbiz.com
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with camera leather's products but from previous experience with similar adhesive backed materials I would go with the plain leather and use contact cement to attach it as that will give a better bond. As to the bulge in the door, lay the leather in a warm place or in direct sun for a half hour or so to get the leather real playable, then attach at the center and work out to the edges.
bruiser

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Charles.

The breadth of your knowledge is astounding!

All the best,
Bruce
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it comes from other members and their experiences then I build on them.

Read bertsaunders reply in this post:
http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=4904

site search: keyword=bed cover>all the terms checked=15 responses.

Self adhesive coverings will peel up at the edges unless they fit under an edge or a trim piece is fastened over them.

I use latex contact cement; attach while the glue is wet; clamp, apply pressure, adjust as necessary; dry or firmly set in 30 minutes or less and most important no fumes, excess rubs off easily, and holds as well as the smelly/fumy stuff.
bruiser

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent reading, Charles!

Thanks once again,
Bruce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: