Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie Help... Have I Done Something Wrong?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Newbie Help... Have I Done Something Wrong? Reply with quote

Hi,

I received a Super Speed Graflex today in good working order. This is my first Graflex and I'm hoping to make good use of it by shooting my senior BFA thesis in the fall. Being a newcomer to Graflex and curious and stupid as I am, I decided to check the cam and make sure it was set to my lens focal length. It was, and when I put the rangefinder cam back in, the rangefinder is no longer accurate--actually, way way off. I can't focus with the rangefinder any longer. When I got it was perfect. I should've just left well enough alone...

What did I do wrong? Can this be easily fixed?

Thanks,

Aaron
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the bellows/front standard in the body open the cam door and turn the camera upside down. Look at the front edge of the cam. The cam follower arm should be ridding on the sloped side of the cam. There is a second piece that should be behind the cam follower arm. Being the follower arm is spring loaded and pushes up into the rangefinder the pointer actuator (guessing that is what its called as my manuals are not available at the moment) comes forward and blocks the cam follower from going back into place or goes forward of the follower. Pull the pointer actuator toward the front of the camera body so that it is clear of the follower opening then release once the follower is in place, it rides on the back side of the cam follower. Run the rails forward and slide the cam to the right if the cam is blocking the follower arm in addition to moving the pointer actuator. The cam follower is the movable mirror arm.

This is easy to knock out when changing cams and even easier to restore once you are familiar with it.
Aaron

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS, thanks for the reply. I'm having a little trouble following the jargon here. Sorry, I'm very much new to this.

The follower arm is running parallel to the slope of the cam, it's not touching the side of it. It seems a little silly, but I guess I should provide a picture on how it's currently set up:

I'm having trouble finding this second piece you mentioned called the pointer actuator... I just see a small metal piece, I push the cam on top of that, and the arm is on top of the cam

Sorry again, I just wish I knew this terminology!
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your picture the pointer actuator is on top of the front edge of the cam, the cam follower arm is not visable. Take the cam out, pull the metal piece that is currently on the cam toward the front of the camera as far as it will go, the follower arm should drop down into position.
Aaron

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks--I'm still having some trouble understanding, but believe me, I'm trying my darndest.

Is there a video of someone doing this? Or a picture of how the cam should look I can look at? Sorry, I'm a visual person and especially with this new (to me) technology, I'm having such a hard time.

So, I've got the pointer actuator, pushed behind the cam follower arm and on top of those things, I insert the cam? It's really hard to push down, is that normal?

I apologize again for the all the questions, I must be coming off as really dense!
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. cam
2. follower arm
3. pointer actuator
4. spring plunger
5. actuator plunger

A. Rack (run) the yoke (rails) forward 2 inches or until yoke actuator is at the front most edge of the actuator slot on the bed.
B. Slide the actuator plunger (5) to the right as far as it will go if it is not already there with the edge of the cam or similar object.
C. Insert the cam, narrow end, between the plungers 4 & 5 then slide it to the left and down into the slot in the actuator tube being sure that the led edge of the cam goes under the follower arm (2) until the cam sits fully into the slot and is against the rangefinder housing.
D. Rack the yoke in and out several times and verify that the cam moves smoothly without binding and that the follower arm rides on the sloped edge of the cam with the pointer actuator against the follower.
Aaron

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS, thank you so much! I got it immediately after I saw this picture and everything is working great. I'm finally ready to start shooting.

Aaron
Sirius Glass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Even though I have not had this problem, I see a great benefit of posting photographs with numbers and appropriate information. I too have had trouble following some of the camera specific jargon. For example I was looking for a enclosed cam rather than the cam shown.

Thanks again.

Steve
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is a homemade cam for a 100mm Wide Field Ektar using this procedure:
http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=4653

The jargon is primarily the nomenclature from the service manual or other factory text, 2 is simply called Arm, 3 is simply called lever but it operates the pinion that the distance pointer is on via a geared plate.

http://www.graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=4647

John Craig of craigcameras.com passed away in February and his family is not currently accepting orders for manuals.

I have scanned and PDF the copy of the Super and Super Speed Graphic Service Manual that I purchased from him available for 1/2 the cost of the printed copy from him. Contact me via the site private message function if interested in the pdf.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: