Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

reflex Graflexes with capping shutters

View previous topic :: View next topic  
disemjg

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got two, the Compact Graflex discussed in a separate post, and a Jr. Graflex 2X3. My question is how the capping curtain is controlled; I see no separate control for it. Is its operation automatic?

While the curtain in the Jr. is dried and unworkable, the Compact has a good shutter. However, while I can get the primary curtain to move through all of its settings, the capping curtain is closed and never opens. The shutter release does not work, so there is something wrong there that may be the real issue. I'll look at it tomorrow.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard of a capping shutter in a Graflex SLR.

On the shutter cocking lever there may be a wheel or slide with I and T stamped on them. I is for instanteous, T is for time. Being you said the curtain will wind to all slots it it most likely in the I position. If it is inbetween settings some parts may not work porperly. Set to I. Push cocking lever downward until it locks, shutter is now cocked.

Graflex SLR's and accessory Focal Plane Shutters for large format cameras all work the same. The on line RB manual will give you all you need to know to operate the shutter, only minor control differences between cameras.

Open the camera, remove the lens board, look at the bottom center of the reflex mirror bracket. The linkage from the shutter release connects with the mirror brackett wihch is spring loaded to the up position. DO NOT pry anything. Put a drop or two of light machine oil on any pivoit point and allow to sit for a few minutes. Work the shutter release lever or try to move the linkage at the mirror base with a small screwdriver but put no more than 1/2 ounce pressure on it.

When you get it to go, wind curtain to T and trip shutter, lens baord to film plane should be open with no intrusions of any kind.

Charles

disemjg

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a few early Graflexes have capping shutters; this is accomplished by employing a second curtain whose sole function is to close the gate while the primary curtain is being wound. The mechanism is known to be somewhat unreliable, and was eventually discarded for the classically simple and reliable shutter we are all familiar with.

So the Compact Graflex that is the subject of my recent posts does, in fact, have a capping shutter, and I suspect that the mechanism is causing my problems. I'll play with it tomorrow, and if I am lucky it can be fixed without going in too deep. While the simple shutters are a cinch to work on, these double jobs are another matter entirely.

And I should not have included the Jr Graflex in this post; it has a simple, non-capping shutter, which is, alas, Krispy-kaput.

[ This Message was edited by: disemjg on 2006-05-05 19:54 ]
kderickson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you find a way to repair your capping shutter? I also have a Compact and I have a similar issue.
richard700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a compact 5x7 (which I assume has a capping shutter).
Never having seen one before, I'm trying to figure out how it works -
I can't get the mirror into viewing position (the cocking lever just won't work)
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:59 am    Post subject: capping shutters on trhe Compact Reply with quote

For all,
I have drawings I can send of the mechinism, most are very difficult to work on, as most compacts I have seen have all the hardware under the leather covering! Anyone interested in the drawings, contact me at
bsaunders1@bak.rr.com
Have a nice day.......Bert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: