Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Century Graphic 2x3 Parts needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aoresteen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Century Graphic 2x3 Parts needed Reply with quote

I'm fixing up a Century Graphic 2x3 body - serial # 509509 (nice number!). I'm looking for:

1. Complete Kalart RF & connecting arm. Everything that goes inside is missing. The bed connecting roller arm is there.

2. Viewfinder mounting shoes & screws.

3. Hand strap and strap lugs & screws that mount on the side of the body.

Any idea where I might get these parts? What should I expect to pay to get good servicable parts?

Thanks!
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you, I'd look for a working Century with the features yours is lacking, which I think are going to be difficult and time-consuming to locate from the usual uBuy source. In fact, mounting and calibrating the Kalart will prove to be a major PITA, although the Mahoganite (plastic) body of the Century does have the mounting holes cast into it, so you wouldn't have to locate and drill those. Adjusting the traveling arm is no picnic, or so I have read here, likewise for sighting it in for the particular lens you plan to use; I've done this last part, and it's another PITA. The reason I say look for a complete working Century is that they seem to come up fairly often on the auction site, although I must say some recent bids for them have been over the top, IMO. I lucked into an excellent+plus example (with Kalart) at a local camera store about 15-20 years ago, but even so I added an optical finder and a new strap (the original plastic one is/was a really cheesy piece of work---shame on Graflex for that one!), and have been adding lenses to my collection over the years, not to mention filters, slip rings, new ground glass, fresnel (Ektalite screen), etc., etc. But you'll be way ahead of the game if you start with a working camera to begin with, I think. YRMV.
aoresteen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Henry,

The camera had the RF installed at one time so all the holes are drilled. Thanks for the tip on the arm.

Ebay prices have been over the top ox 2x3 stuff lately.
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to comment that the optical finder is mostly useless, IMO. The view is very approximate, at best; in fact, I prefer the wire frame ("sports") finder for handheld work. When I bought mine the shoe and screws were included; as with the Kalart, the holes are already cast into the case up top. Again, YRMV, but if I had it to do again, I'd forgo the optical finder and spend the $$ on a nice leather strap!
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the motion that the "optical Viewfinder" is better used as a decoration than an image alignment tool unless one is addicted to smaller format view finders and that is what they are comfortable with.
The sports finder offers better view of whats going on and format frames can be made from foam core easily.

Midwest Photo had straps for Pacemaker 4x5 and may have some of the items you need for $$$$$$. Call them.
http://www.mpex.com/

Other Graflex sources:
http://www.pacificrimcamera.com/
http://www.collectiblecameras.com/
1banjo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey aoresteen
if you are still looking for Kalart RF & connecting arm
just listed today on ebay # 220758853596
BOX OF KALART RANGEFINDER PARTS & ARMS GRAFLEX CAMERAS
banjo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: