Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vernier Scales

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mitya138

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Vernier Scales Reply with quote

I've posted this at the APUG site, but I figured this is the best place to find an answer.
A while ago I purchased a Speed Graphic and I've spent a month or more trying to calibrate the top-mounted RF on my 4 x 5 with the images I get on the glass with no success. Then, it occured to me that maybe someone had swapped lenses, but not cams. Sure enough, I pulled the cam and found it stamped for 135mm, whereas my lens is the 127mm Ektar.
So, I figured until I find/make the proper cam, I'd use the vernier scales for hand-held shots. My question is, does anyone know of "to-scale" downloadable vernier images that I could transfer to a plate, or should I just suck it up and get out the tape rule and measure the distances myself?
Or, is the real deal out there to be found, and if so, are they as rare as cams?
Thanks,
Mitya
C. Henry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitya;

I hate to rain on your parade but the vernier scales are just as lens specific as the rangefinder cams, so if the previous owner changed the lens without changing the cam he probably did not change the vernier scale either.
Both cams and vernier scales show up from time to time on the popular auction site, but you have to know the actual focal length of your specific lens and the cam/vernier scale being offered which may not be exactly the marked focal length.

C. Henry
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.southbristolviews.com/
in the left plane click the graflex manuals link
http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/Grafcamlst.gif
there are 3 to 4 scales each for 127mm and 135mm lens.
http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/TRFService.pdf
all you need to know about calibrating the top rf.

Graflex optically measured each lens then cut cams according to the measured focal length. Lens that measured .1mm to .2mm got the nearest cam and scale assigned to them as an inch or two focusing error at 6 feet wide open is not that significant.
Mitya138

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I knew the scales were lens-specific, I was just hoping there was a quick and dirty method of downloading one for my lens. Actually, I've got a fence nearby which is conveniently exactly two meters between each post. I can get a hundred meter measurement quite easily. For shorter distances, a tape measure will suffice.
I still can't calibrate the RF until I get the proper cam though, but the link to the repair manual will be helpful when I do. Thanks again.
C. Henry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitya;

Remember that the Graflex cameras including the Speed Graphic were made in the United States many years ago so the vernier scale numbers are distances in feet, not meters, even if the lens focal lengths of the lenses were stated in centimeters or millimeters.

C. Henry
Mitya138

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! Typo. I meant to say I could easily get a hundred "foot" measurement. (100 feet = 30.5 meters). That's probably a more useful distance for me than 100 meters would be. Thanks anyway.

Mitya
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: