Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What film size for this camera?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
durr3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see-the spools sizes are different. the roll up end in longer than the spool end. The smaller spool measure 1 3/8 inches.

http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/9/1/6/dsc00173.jpg
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, 1-3/8 would be too small for 127, which has an image size of 1-5/8 sq. Now I'm leaning toward Les's suggestion that it's 828, image size 28 x 40 mm (28 mm = 1.1 in.), film size 35 mm wide (35mm = 1.38 in. = 1-3/8 in.; 3/8 = .375.). McKeown says 828 film was introduced in 1935, so that would seem to fit the time frame of your camera. I believe that B&H offers 828 film on their website. But since you have a Graflok back, you could fit a 120 roll film back to the camera (keeping in mind that there is a difference between Graflex and Graphic roll holders, or so I have read). There is still quite a good choice of emulsions in 120 film.
durr3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry

This might be a stupid question, but if it is 35mm wide could I try 35mm film?

Don't laugh too hard!
Les

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

certainly! Well then it becomes a matter of fitting the holder to hold 35mm cartridges and a way to rewind the film.

If it is 828 (and I'm beginning to think it's 127) you'd have an image running into the sprocket holes. This could be cropped out, or used as an artistic effect.
An 828 spool will have an inside dimension of 36-37mm
a 127 spool will have an inside dimension of 46-47mm
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess so, if you have a darkroom or a film changing bag I don't know about the film advance mechanism on that back, though.

Would you measure the film opening on the holder and post the numbers? That would give us another bit of evidence to ponder.

That little window on the back of the holder is for reading the frame number printed on the film's backing paper. Of course you wouldn't have this on 35mm film, so you wouldn't know how far to advance the film. Plus you'd fog the film whenever you opened the window. Even if you modified the holder to accept a 35mm film canister, you'd still have the problem of winding on. I just don't see a practical way to use 35mm film with this device, but maybe I'm missing something (my wife tells me I am, so it must be so).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: