Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Padded plate keeps falling out
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sirius Glass

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Padded plate keeps falling out Reply with quote

On one of my Grafmatic 45s, the sliding plate fits underneath the edge but it keeps falling out of place [on the underside of the Graflex/Graphic company name plate]. How do I secure it?

Steve
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/grafmatic45service.pdf

Are you referring to IPB 1-7 (same as figure 1 item 8 ) cutoff assembly, 3 dimple (light trap)?
By the "tape cutoff" just underneath with no numbering assigned I would assume a good double sided tape was used. I have used contact cement to reinstall them when the original tape/adhesive failed.
Sirius Glass

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is part IPB 1-7 (same as figure 1 item 8 ) cutoff assembly, 3 dimple (light trap). I had a feeling that contact cement might work, but I did not know if the part floated or moved. Thanks.

Steve
Sirius Glass

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems to have fixed it, but the counting wheel is off by one. The counter wheel [12] over the film is at "1" but the outside dial [30] is at "2". Is there an easy fix for that or is it a complete tear down and reassembly?
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove the darkslide (paragraph 4h), set the magnet gear (removal para.4p) in sync with the film compartment indicator (film compartment dial turns on a center pivot point via magnetic pole interaction), see diagram on page 4, reassemble.

A stiff business card works as a stop depressor.
Sirius Glass

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS wrote:
Remove the darkslide (paragraph 4h), set the magnet gear (removal para.4p) in sync with the film compartment indicator (film compartment dial turns on a center pivot point via magnetic pole interaction), see diagram on page 4, reassemble.

A stiff business card works as a stop depressor.

I an paragraph 4h.

I put a business card in as a stop depressor, and it does seem to cover 15 and 16, but the darkslide will not move past the assemble. It is caught on the edge near the door locking disk. I cannot get the card to slide closer than 3/4" to that edge of the darkslide.

I will wait for further instructions.

Steve
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is caught on the edge near the door locking disk. I cannot get the card to slide closer than 3/4" to that edge of the darkslide.

Yes the card is hitting the stop, stop depressor will be against the edge once you have it over the stop. You may have to vary the distance the darkslide is inward, try a thinner card, press down on the darkslide in the area of of the stop, wiggle the card, try a piece of thin sheet metal or brass, play with it, but I don't think sweet talking it will help. Some are a piece of cake while others are a PITA, sounds like you may have one of the latter.

The under side of the darkslide has a tapered notched out area that the stop fits into. The stop is a 1/2 inch or so square piece of metal about 1/4 inch thick on a moderate spring. If the darkslide is slightly bowed push it down so that it is flat while trying to get the stop depressor between the stop and darkslide.
Sirius Glass

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step 4m

Part 19 the washer is missing. It may be hard to find a replacement, but aside from being harder to reassemble, it will work without it.

Part 30 was showing #2 when the disk was #1. I removed 30 and put it back in place with "X" lined up. Is that right? Should I reassemble at this point?
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part 30 should be on 1 with part 12 showing 1 in the film compartment. If the drawer assembly is in the main housing slide it in to just before latch engaging, rotate wheel 30 and wheel 12 should track in proper sequence. Assemble when you are satisfied that it is correct.
Sirius Glass

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Grafmatic 45 is the earlier model. Once I got spring 27 with both ends where they were supposed to be, the levers looking in the positions in figure 2A and 26 in the proper place, it took several assemblings and disassemblings to realize that the latching would not take place without the septums [septi?].

Only the back, 7, with the 6 screws need to come out to make this adjustment.

Now it is off by one half step, to tomorrow night I will continue.

Thank you.
Sirius Glass

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After may tries, I found that 30 and 31 are it connected. Should I glue them together?

Steve
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize for the misinformation previously posted in this thread as to disassembly. It has been many years since I had this section open.

Use a simple magnetic compass, position it over the magnet in magnetic gear assembly item 43 with the darkslide removed. Identify the North pole of the magnet. Turn magnetic gear assembly 43 until the North pole of the magnet is next to and perpendicular to the septum compartment. Mesh gear 43 with 31. Install indicator 30 with 1 in the window area. If 1 of indicator 30 is not centered in the indicator area then remove 30, remesh 43 with 31 moving 31 as needed to center the 1 of indicator 30 in the window. Gear 31 and indicator 30 have mating slots and protrusions that mate the two together when assembled. The shaft that gear 31 and indicator 30 rotate on is riveted to the case, both will slide off. Assemble 26, 27, 28, 29, and any other parts that are in the compartment that are loose then install cover 24, darkslide stop and spring and the darkslide. Set film compartment indicator to 1 then install the drawer assembly. The film compartment indicator should now track the indicator wheel 30.

All item numbers refer to the IPB Fig. 1 not the service text figure as the proofreader missed some mis numbering of the two when the manual was made.
Sirius Glass

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally! Finally! S*U*C*C*E*S*S AT LAST!

Thank you
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!
I had to disassemble a parts holder to remember correctly.
Sirius Glass

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirius Glass wrote:
After may tries, I found that 30 and 31 are it connected. Should I glue them together?

Steve

Aw the wonders of Gorilla glue.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: