Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help! Scale and rangefinder don't match the lens!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early Pacemaker Speed, Kalart RF, 135mm Graflex Optar. Two sets of infinity stops, at 135mm and 150mm.

When focused with the rangefinder, the image on the ground glass isn't quite sharp. Granted, I don't have a loupe, but I'm young and like to think I have fairly good eyesight, and it still looks fuzzy.

When the scale is set to match the rangefinder (with the help of my 25' Stanley tape measure), the 100' and infinity marks on the moving track stay foward of the marks on the fixed scale, even when the track is all the way in.

When I fold down the infinity stops and move the lens so that it matches the rangefinder a one distance, it doesn't match at any other. Same with the scale, whether I move the lens or the moveable bit of the scale.

Are the scales specific to certain lenses? Did my camera come with a different lens than the one it has now? How do I fix it so I can focus it?

*--I haven't tested it with film yet; film holders are in the mail. (That's what you get for buyig the kit one piece at a time off a certain auction site.)
alecj

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the focus scales ARE focal-length specific. If you'll remove the outer one of each set and look on the reverse, you'll see a number. Post it here and we can tell you which lens that scale was designed for.

Remember there are MANY variables at work here. For instance, the RF may not be properly set, nor may the infinity stops be set right [possible but less likely than the others]. Working through the GG will let you set it all up [assuming its in the right place too]. You don't need film yet. Sounds like it would be iffy even if you had it now.

I'd bet the stops are right. Chances are the scales are too, but that's easy to check. The most likely culpret is the RF, and there are instructions on Graflex.org for setting that. I'd work towards getting everything in agreement with the GG, then use film to confirm the GG is in the right place.

[ This Message was edited by: alecj on 2002-04-27 06:19 ]
Baker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the back of the sliding scale: 3081Z-2

There's another fixed scale about halfway down the bed (the one that has both bits is near the end of the bed), but the distance numbers are so close together I'd guess it's for a quite short lens.
alecj

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-04-27 13:57, Baker wrote:
On the back of the sliding scale: 3081Z-2

There's another fixed scale about halfway down the bed (the one that has both bits is near the end of the bed), but the distance numbers are so close together I'd guess it's for a quite short lens.

Oops, that's not on my list. What did you mean by "sliding"? Was it on the outside, held down by screws, or the one inside the track? My list covers most, but not all scales. Maybe someone else has that one.

Assuming this is a side-rangefinder, if you rack the lens out, you'll see a cam appear on the right side of the bed, underneath the brace. Check the instructions on Graflex.org and use that to set your RF to your ground glass image. Then see where the scale setting fits.
Baker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-04-27 14:13, alecj wrote:
Oops, that's not on my list. What did you mean by "sliding"? Was it on the outside, held down by screws, or the one inside the track? My list covers most, but not all scales. Maybe someone else has that one.

That's the one on the track. The fixed one didn't have anything on it.
Baker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the rangefinder adjusted to match the lens. Now I just need a proper scale for the 135mm lens.
alecj

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you're sure you need a new scale, it doesn't get much easier. As I said before, Graflex focus scales were lens-specific. For instance, they listed 6 different scales for 135mm on the Pacemaker list I have, meaning a 135mm lens might vary from 135mm a bit.

If you think THAT's bad, you could be looking for a scale for a 127mm lens, where you'd have 12 different scales to choose from.

I guess it depends on just how accurate you want to be. I'd definitely try one before I bought it, or get a return privilege.
Baker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What lens is 30882-21 for? That's the number on the other scale.
alecj

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that one I have. That's for a 90mm lens.
There were 5 scales for 90mm and this one was at the lowest end. Reviewing these things, you get a new appreciation of just how thorough Graflex was in providing a professional product. They measured each lens and matched the right scale to that lens. Not shabby work for 50 years ago.

[ This Message was edited by: alecj on 2002-04-28 17:49 ]
Baker

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know where I can get a proper set of scales for the 135mm? Anybody have a spare set laying around that they'd like to donate?
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No scales, but if your email is posted here (only if you do not object to everyone seeing it) or sent to me via PM feature of this site you will recieve 3 self extracting zip files of 1.3mb size entitled "How to Adjust and Use the Kalart Rangefinder."

npowroz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alecj:

If I could prevail upon your goodheartedness -- I suspect that my Crown did not come with the original lens, as the scales and RF seem completely out of whack. Could you delve into your list of magic numbers and tell me what lens belongs to a scale numbered "30881-2".

Out of interest -- is your magic list available anywhere, or is it a closely guarded secret?

Cheers
Norm
alecj

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Norm. According to "THE LIST", that's a primary scale for a 127mm lens [one with a 5' marking]. Hope that's what you've got. The RF can be adjusted, but the scales can't.

Several people here have the list, but nobody's got the time to revise it for publication. If I told you more, then you'd know too much and I'd have to kill you!

Alec

[ This Message was edited by: alecj on 2002-06-04 18:38 ]
npowroz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought as much (expletive deleted). The lens on the camera is a 135 Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar mounted in a Synchro Compur-P shutter. I didn't think it looked right for that vintage. I've also been having a hell of a time trying to get the whole combination apart so I can clean the shutter (the slow speeds are way off).

Thanks for the info.
Baker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the top tube viewfinder matched to the lens as well? I hadn't thought of that until I started scraping the paint off the bottom of the finder* and found a number (I didn't write it down; I'll get it tomorrow if they are lens-specific).

*--the paint on the top, sides, and inside was flaking very badly; ugly on the outside, getting on the lenses and blocking the view on the inside, so I decided to strip and repaint it. Any suggestions on what to repaint it with?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: