Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GVII Maintenance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CircleofConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GVII has spent most of the past 20 years hanging upsidedown in it's cradle. I notice that some of the movements, focusing knobs and the back mount springs are kind of sticky. I'm not sure just what to do about lubricating this thing? Would 3 in 1 oil ( in small amounts of course) be good? Should I use a silicone lubricant or maybe automotive white grease? It's not frozen or rusted, just a bit too stiff for careful adjustments. I figure this is the place for the definative answer! Thanks!
RichS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GVII was pretty sticky also, very hard to move the standards. In the GVII repair manula, Graflex suggests using parafin to lubricate the rail & gearings. I tried it and it worked wonders! Focus is very smooth now. Just rub some parafin (or white candle) along the top of both sides of the rail and along the teeth of the gearing underneath (inside) the rail. move the standards all the way front to back several times, then wipe off any excess. If the focus knobs are stiff, a light touch of oil would probably help. I wouldn't suggest oil for the rail or gears... A silcon enhanced wax (like for cars) would also work well. I used the parafin on the front & back movements (shift plates just above the rail) to ease their movements also.

I'm not sure what you mean by "back mount springs" though? If you're talking about the coil springs inside a Graflok back, then yes, a light touch of oil there works wonders also. I had to lubricate all of mine to get them to move freely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: