Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

6x7 roll film holder

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicolaslaborie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: 6x7 roll film holder Reply with quote

Dear members,

First, thank you for letting me join the forum - just bought myself a Pacemaker crown graphic recently and loving every minutes of it on 5x4.

I wanted to know which 6x7 back if compatible with the Crown graphic as i wanted to try different format back.

Thank you.

N
graphicdave

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N,

If your Crown has the "Graflok" ( also known as the "International") back, go to the accessories page on this site; http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/accessories.html and scroll down to "Roll Film Backs".

There are other brands of roll film backs that will work as well such as Wista, Horseman, Linhof etc. Search the infamous ebay site for examples and price ranges (completed items).

If your Camera does not have the Graflok back, it has the "Spring Back" and you'll need to find an adapter kit or replace it with the Graflok. Another option with the spring back is the "Adapt-a-Roll" film holder which is described a little further down on the same accessories page.

Dave
nicolaslaborie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Dave ,my camera has a Graflok type back so if i understand properly i can get any brands as long they are international or Graflok type...but can you recommend one in particularly or if you have one, what do you use?

N
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
just bought myself a Pacemaker crown graphic recently and loving every minutes of it on 5x4. I wanted to know which 6x7 back if compatible with the Crown graphic as i wanted to try different format back.

I assume by your comment you have a 4x5. Any RFH you get will need to be made for a 4x5 camera. The Graphic RH10 will fit the bill but it was made to fit 2x3 and 4x5 format cameras. The 2x3 version is shown in http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_13.html (link), the 4x5 version will have a wide mount plate made on to the film gate side that just fits into the back opening of your Crown when the focus panel is removed. Any other brand of RFH will have to be made for 4x5 format cameras also.

Several are available on ebay at the moment: http://photography.shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_npmv=3&_trksid=p3910.m570.l1313&_nkw=roll+film+holder&_sacat=625
nicolaslaborie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you will look into it... N
nicolaslaborie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After doing a bit of research....is it worth shooting on 6x7 or is 6x9 a better format? as 6x6 seems to be difficult to find....

N
C. Henry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N;

The choice of format would be determined by personal preference and which will best give you the finished output you desire. 6 x 6 gives a square negative which can be cropped to either a horizontal (landscape) or vertical (portrait) format print.
6 x 7 reportedly fits a standard 8" x 10" print with very little cropping and gives two more frames on a 120 roll of film than the 6 x 9 which fits a 4" x 6" print without cropping.
For what it is worth I use 6 x 9 on my Speed and 6 x 6 on a twin lens reflex MF camera. I have not ever used 6 x 7 so my comments on it are based on second hand information.

C. Henry
nicolaslaborie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6X9 OR 6X6 seems to be the most look after format as they dont come up often on ebay for example.

N
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C. Henry wrote:

...6 x 7 reportedly fits a standard 8" x 10" print with very little cropping... I have not ever used 6 x 7 so my comments on it are based on second hand information.

C. Henry

Hi, Carl
If I'm doing the math correctly, 6x7 cm. prints out to approx. 8" x 9.3" (using 1.33 as a multiplier). Still better(?) than a 35mm neg (proportion 2x3), which enlarges to 8" x 12" (or approx. 7" x 10"), the near equivalent of 6x9 cm. Of course, as we know, the metric dimensions are not exactly 6, 7, or 9 cm. It all makes for some challenging, sometimes agonizing, decisions in the darkroom, whether traditional or digital.
C. Henry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know the actual dimensions of the 6 x 7 negative image size is 56.? mm by sixty-something about 65mm.
Actual measurements of the image gate on my RH8 (6 x 9) roll film holder are 57.8 mm by 78.3 mm! That is right, the "9 cm" way of it is less than 8 cm.

C. Henry
1banjo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all
for what all I do I like the 6x7 RH10 &/or RH20
for the 10 per roll &/or 20 per roll
AND by the way I have 9 socalled 6x9 AND there are 7 different sizes!!!!
the 2 RH8 are a like BUT the 7 graphic 23 6 different sizes!!
and the 1 graphic 22 & the1 RH12 are also different sizes
banjo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: