Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shopping list

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pelle.txt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Shopping list Reply with quote

Dear all,

Since I have my Graphic View I start shooting 4x5 film. It costs €5,00 plus VAT to develop a sheet at my local professional film lab. I thought it is time to start developing my own film.

I made up a little shopping list. Could someone give me some advice about my list? Am I missing something?

I also do not know how much scaled bottles, mixing jugs and graduates I would need.

JOBO: System 2500 Multi Tank (2523)
JOBO: System 2509n 4x5" Sheet Film Reel)
JOBO: System 1509 Roller
Agitating staff
JOBO Graduate 1000ml
Thermometer
Film Wiper
Cascade Film Washer
Film Clips
1000ml Scaled Bottle
Graduates
Mixing jugs

My goal is not to spent more then €250,00. I shoot only Fomapan. There are 50 sheets in a box. If my local lab develops one box then it would cost the same (plus VAT).

I hope to hear from you soon.

Pelle
1banjo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Pelle

you need JOBO FILM LOADER 2508 & Film guide 5212 for 4x5 film
I use a BESELER Standard Motor Base Agitator
banjo
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I load the 2509n reels all the time without the loading base or guide. Practice!!

Add: wetting agent and delete the film squeegee.
A 5 liter plastic bucket works well for mixing powdered chemicals if it has a flat bottom.
Get 1 1500ml to 2000ml graduate and 1 50ml to 60ml graduate (for measuring liquid concentrate chemicals or stock chemicals being diluted to working strength). I use 1 1500ml graduate for the processing session and rinse it after each chemical and using the chemicals in order of processing does not have any adverse affects.
The cascade film washer is an optional item as removing the lid from the tank and allowing running water to enter at the edge of the tank or the center of the tank is adequate.

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/healthandsafety/page.asp?n=163#Reducing Wash Water is another option. (scroll down to reducing wash water).

You will need 1 dark brown storage jug for each powdered chemical you mix, using liquid concentrate chemicals and mixing the working solution in the large graduate just before using eliminates the need for storage jugs, mixing bucket, and the concentrates will last as long or longer than the mixed powders.
Wood spring type clothes pins (not push on type) work well for holding film for drying.
pv17vv

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beste Pelle,

If you want to develop your sheets the old way ie by hand or without a motor base to rotate the tank, any tank large enough for a 4x5 reel will be OK. I mean you don't need a tank like a 2500 (expensive) or an Expert 3000 (very expensive) made for processor development. A cheap second-hand tank will do the job perfectly.

mvg

Georges
1banjo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Pelle,
a Nikor stainless steel film developing tank for 4 x 5 @ $277. like ebad #180462627725
can be more of a buy that the Jobo as all the other things that you need to use the Jobo
adds up to a lot of $$$
also a Yankee 4x5 Cut Film Developing Tank NEW about $40. is a good buy
I don't like Fink Roselieve FR Tanks

banjo
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jobo tanks can be used for inversion processing even though the instructions say they cannot, they just get heavy. A manual roller base works just as well for rotary processing as a motor base. The advantage to the manual roller base is that it keeps you busy next to the tank so that you do not over develope due to being busy doing something else while the tank was running on the motot base. I've heard good things about the Nikor tank also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: