Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

65 or 75 wide angle suggestions?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hate to open a can or worms, and I sure don't want to start any arguements about this But I'm looking to get as wide an angle lens as possible for my Graphics. I've seen a lot of 65mm, 75mm, a 72 and even an 80mm. As far as I know the 65-f8 really won't cover 4x5. Looks like almost any 75 will? But I don't know, and I'm not looking to spend a fortune on one either (the big problem!) So I'd love to hear some suggestions for a really wide lens that won't break my bank but will cover 4x5. Would be nice if it also worked on my Speed, but I know that would rule out the 65's.
Also, I found out the hard way that with my 90mm that I had to drop the front rails to get them out of the frame. Will they stay out of frame with a 65? Or 75? I know, a lot of typing for a basically simple question... But thanks for reading and any help offered
Rich...
Les

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schneider made two types of angulons.
'just' Angulons, like the small press type 90mm and the 65mm for 2x3

then there's the Super Angulons. They made SA's in a couple of focal lenghts and on occasion, couple of sizes.

I've never been able to put anything wider than a 90 on a speed, but never had a 75.

I've shot many 4x5 pictures with a 65mm F8 SUPER Angulon. They made this in a 5.6 as well but that won't fit easily on a graphic as the glass is huge as is the price tag. the 75mm Super is also a beast. You could take off the rear cell remove the ground glass, and reassemble it from the back, but that's dangerous.
RichS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot about the size issue. Removing the back to screw on a lens element is definitely out... So is the big price tag
But I thought the 65-f8 wouldn't cover 4x5? I've seen a couple of those go for a reasonable amount. Oh, they weren't 'Super' though! I doubt I could afford a super lens... Have to keep that impulse in check or I'll wind up with something I can't use...
Thanks!
jbjns

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 65 SUPER-Angulon (not Angulon) on my Pacemaker Speed. I need to drop the bed, of course, but - to my considerable surprise - it focuses to infinity. As to coverage, 4x5 is what it is designed to do, and it does it (without movements, of course).
RichS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-09 07:04, jbjns wrote:
I use a 65 SUPER-Angulon (not Angulon) on my Pacemaker Speed. I need to drop the bed, of course, but - to my considerable surprise - it focuses to infinity. As to coverage, 4x5 is what it is designed to do, and it does it (without movements, of course).

Thanks for that info. Does it work with a standard lens board? And which lens is it, the 5.6 or 8? I'd love to get a 65 if I could find one I could actually afford
Les

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The never made a recesed board for a Graphic Press camera, by the time they made the recess small enough to fit inside the standard, it would be too small for anything save the 00 copal and even then you'd have a hard time adjusting the lens. i've put a 58mm on my crown on a standard board with no problems.
RichS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-09 11:29, Les wrote:
The never made a recesed board for a Graphic Press camera, by the time they made the recess small enough to fit inside the standard, it would be too small for anything save the 00 copal and even then you'd have a hard time adjusting the lens. i've put a 58mm on my crown on a standard board with no problems.

Oh, duh... Sorry, I'm a bit sick and the brain just isn't working like it should... Got the Press & View confused... Couldn't even think of the word 'recessed'
But a 58? Do the rails move far enough down to get them out of view and it will focus to infinity? Wow! I didn't even think the bed would move far enough for the 65mm. I have to start looking seriously for a 65 now...
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2005-12-24 19:56 ]
RichS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-09 23:40, 45PSS wrote:
KEH has a few 47's, 65's, and 75's in their large format lens section.

Thanks... I keep an eye on KEH and B&H and quite a few others. They're just all out of my range. And since I just lost out on two on ebay, it may be someone telling me it's not the right time? But I'll keep looking
GerWP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Horseman Super 65mm f/7 lens barely covers 4x5, although my use has been 2x3 only. All of the Super series Horseman lenses will cover 4x5. The Pro series lenses cover only 2x3. They are quite small with their Seiko shutters. You give up movements for portability. They show up on eBay in the $300 range. One guy regularly prices his at twice that, but doesn't get bidders.

Regards,

Gerald
RichS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh-sure...Now you mention that, after I let one go on ebay...
I was going to ask about that Horseman lens but didn't get a chance, and it did go for a reasonable amount. There's quite a bit of luck involved on ebay. I've seen the 65/f8 angulaons go for anything from 275 to 575 or so. And there's no room for movements with it either. I guess it depends on who wants it and when. I'll just wait till it's my time... There's also the fujinon 65 sw/f8 that can be found for a decent amount now and then. I'm sure I'll find one soon. In the meantime, I have to figure out how to mount an Acme No.4 shutter to a Graphic board. Doesn't leave much room...
GerWP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the Horseman lenses, look for one without the cam. The cam operates the rangefinder on Horseman field/technical cameras. If a lens doesn't have a cam, it goes for less. You won't need the cam unless you are using a Horseman camera. The cams go for $95 new, if you can find them! Luck and dogged determination rule on eBay. Plus patience.

Regards,

Gerald Pierce
RichS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks to you folks I finally have a 65mm Super Angulon of the f-8 variety. Never could get an ebay version as the costs were always higher than what I could afford and higher than the usual market value... Through chance during a phone call, a dealer had one on his shelf for a reasonable amount and it arrived today. Luckily, I just happened to have a lens board to fit and I gave it a try on my Crown. Yep, covers 4x5 and seems to use about the same bellows as my 90mm Optar. But boy does it get dark around the edges... I can see why people go for the center filters. Stopping down to f-32 doesn't seem to help much either. But it does take a nice photo and doesn't get the rails in the shot (dropped of course). It's a bit dark to use indoors though...
Just in case anyone does come back to read this, I've also got a shutter question. This is in a Synchro Compur with speeds from 1 to 500 plus B. No T... Okay, a locking cable takes care of that. But there's also apparently no 'focus' open button or switch. With no T and no focus button, focusing is with a locking cable only set on B. Am I missing something on the shutter or is this really the case?
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2005-12-24 19:56 ]
RichS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks... Yep, same 00 shutter. I discovered what the 'v' was for by accident. It has such a harsh 'rasp' that I thought I broke it Then found out it was a self timer when I triggered the shutter. Nice feature, but I'd trade it in a second for a focus button... Now I'll have to find a short cable to just keep on this lens.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: