Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Proper Force Required to Close from Open Shutter Position?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
semihemi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:26 am    Post subject: Proper Force Required to Close from Open Shutter Position? Reply with quote

I just finished a shutter repair on a beautiful 4x5 Type B. I ended up with a bit more pretension on the curtain than I normally allow. Usually at a tension setting of 1, I set the pretension so that the curtain will just lightly close from the O position with almost no tension to spare. This time I set it so that the curtain comes down from O somewhat crisply. It is not a resounding THWAK but it does come home with a positive snick. Will this do any long term damage or should I make the effort to go back in and ease the pretension?

Also, two of the screws that secure the revolving back are not catching any wood at all upon reassembly. What is the best method to fill the holes so that the screws can get some purchase?

Thanks,
Semi
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every service manual I've read on a Graflex made Focal Plane Shutter says with the tension setting on the lowest setting, the curtain at O or open, tripping the shutter the curtain should travel smoothly over the film opening and latch positively with the edge of the curtain opening 1/4 inch below the film plane opening. The Anniversary Speed Service Manual or the Geflex Focal Plane Shutter Manual at http://southbristolviews.com/ adjustment instructions will work for the
Slur's as the shutter is the same mechanically. (I cannot access the manuals on this computer but can on one of the other computers in the house.)

From your description you are about 1 or 2 turns to the tight on your adjustment and it should not be a problem.

My striped screw hole repair is to cut a piece of round dowel rod that will just fit into the hole and glue it into place. A round tooth pick works fine for Graflex wood bodies and I like Elmer's Carpenters Wood Glue as it cleans up with water when wet. Let the dowel sit 15 to 30 minutes then use a brad to make a start hole for the screw tip then insert the screw. On the top or bottom edges along the curtain rollers let the glued dowel sit for an hour before attempting to insert the screw.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tooth picks make wonderful scew hole fillers. And glue, of course.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: