Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Viewfinder coverage/mask

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
restless1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:08 am    Post subject: Viewfinder coverage/mask Reply with quote

I have a Crown Graphic Special with Xenar 135/4.7 lens. The viewfinder has a #2 mask installed. I also have a roll film back, RH10. According to the charts, this is for 2.25 X 3.25 frame size. My questions: For handheld/RF 4X5 use, do I remove the VF mask and use the whole viewfinder image? Second: Using the RH10 back, what mask should I use, or can I just mask off (with tape) the existing mask? Thanks for any help.
Gerry
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, remove the optical viewfinder mask for 4x5 shooting.
Better solution, disregard the optical view finder and use the sports finder on the front standard with the peep site on the back, like taking blinders off compared to the optical.
C. Henry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RH-10 roll film holder is for ten 2.25" x 2.75" frames on a roll of 120 film. For 2.25" x 3.25" frames you would need a RH-8 roll film holder.
For 4" x 5" use a #4 mask or no mask at all, for the RH-10 roll film holder use a #10 mask.
As 45PSS suggests the sports finder is the best choice especially if you are doing any action shooting.

C. Henry
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What 45PSS and C. Henry said. The optical finder is a very blunt instrument; doesn't realy matter which #mask you use. The sports finder is proportioned, near as I can tell, more for 2x3 than 2.25x2.75, at least on my Century (your 4x5 Crown may well differ!), but even so it gives a very good approximation of the scene, and since the image is "lifesize" (how could it not be?) you'll see all the details that little optical finder can't show you. Just imagine the left and right edges of the frame "cropped" and you'll be OK.
restless1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the info and help. When (if!) it quits raining here, I'll give this a go.
Gerry
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are scheduled for 45 minutes of sun every other Tuesday for the next few weeks.

There are factory mask for the sports finder but they are few and far between. While you are waiting for the rain to stop go to a arts and crafts store and get some 1/4 inch foam core.
Next remove focus panel and measure the actual image area, a Super Graphic is 4 11/16 (119mm) X 3 11/16 (94mm). Now open the sports finder on the front standard and measure the opening, a Super Graphic is 3 7/8 (99mm) X 3 1/8 (79mm). Now with no film in the roll holder remove the darkslide and measure the film gate opening, I do not have a RH 10.

The sports finder is .832 x .798 the size of the ground glass. Multiply the RH 10 gate measurements by these amounts.

Cut a piece of the foam core to just fit into the sports finder between the top wire frame and the solid bottom frame. Round the top corners of the foam core on one side only so that it just slips in and stays firmly. Now take the adjusted film gate measurements, center them on the foam core and cut out the proportional opening. This mask will be very close to accurate using normal to wide lens, extreme wide and long lens can be approximated, and is closer than the optical.

A Graphic 22/RH 12 mask opening is 1 7/8 square (48mm) with a 5/8 inch (14mm) top/bottom and a 1 inch (25.4mm) left/right edges.
A Graphic 23/RH 8 mask opening is 2 13/16 (72mm) X 1 27/32 (47mm) with 5/8 inch (14mm) top/bottom and 9/16 inch (16mm) left/right edges.

Happy shooting.
restless1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS,
Re: Mask for sports finder. Great info. I had started down that road and this will make it much simpler.
Thank you,
Gerry
restless1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS,

" You are scheduled for 45 minutes of sun every other Tuesday for the next few weeks."

That is probably being optimistic!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: