Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paul Strand's Graflex

View previous topic :: View next topic  
john wilton

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:37 am    Post subject: Paul Strand's Graflex Reply with quote

People might be interested in these grabs from 'Paul Strand: Under the Dark Cloth' (Kino DVD).

Italy, with Home Portrait.
Ireland, with Home Portrait. (with detail shot)
Ghana with small Graflex at age 74. According to soundtrack, using handheld for first time.
France, 1970s with Home Portrait.

pv17vv

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to realise the size of the beast when like me you've never seen one for real.

Thanks John.

Georges
DHF845

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Paul Strand Reply with quote

Never realized Strand was a Graflex man. Always thought (based on the style of his work) that he used a view camera. These shots show that Graflex LF SLR's are often used like view cameras. The way he's using that Home Portrait is the way I've been using my Series D.
Some people think a Graflex is a fast-action camera. With its FP shutter, it can be, but let's face it, they were upstaged in the action dept. by 35 mm a long time ago.
I've shot football with a telephoto on a Graflex. It ain't easy when everything is reversed left-to right, and you have to constantly look down at the camera to change film holders or advance film, reset the mirror, rewind the shutter.
I love my Graflex, it's my favorite camera, but when I go shoot a sports event or my kid's modern dance class performing, out comes old reliable Nikon F and 135 Nikkor Tele.
erik g

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strand's camera was customized IIRC. It started life as a 5x7 but he had it modified to be a 5x6 because he liked the proportions better. He didn't just crop either, but had the camera altered for the new format, with custom holders too. Kind of fussy to me, but it was seeing Strand's negatives that convinced Ansel that photography could be his path and passion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: