Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flashbulb Curiosity ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
George B

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Flashbulb Curiosity ? Reply with quote

I was wondering after a typical weekend party, event and freako after-hours NYC shoot if any of you folks actually take pictures with your Graflex cameras using flashbulbs ?

A nights shoot for me is a Baby Speed with a Graphic "23" back, three rolls of B&W ASA 100 film and a bag of 24 bulbs, usually 11's or 40's. If it's a big event I'll shoot four to five rolls using 5's or 25's because of space limitations in my bulb bag. I do my best to make every shot count as a one time chance. Yeah, there's lots of other photographers shooting digital blasting off exposures like there's no tomorrow. I asked a bigshot Canon pop guy how many snaps he took and he said "about 1,200". Good Lord, I would think it takes me less time to soup and scan than it takes him to edit that amount.

Hey, here's a recent snap... transvestites, transgendered or transformers ? Your guess is as good as mine.

OK, so what's the point ? Actually, nothing more than flashbulb curiosity on my part. But I gotta tell you when I pop a flashbulb people's heads turn towards the bright light and are willing to pose their best.

So... do you shoot with flashbulbs ?

Curious,
George
Les

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh Uncle Rose Selavy and her friends, always the life of the party.

Yes I do use flashbulbs, I went to a local radio station's Hallowe'en party and knocked off about 2 dozen bulbs and 4 grafmatics. I showed up as a news photographer.

The fun part is watching the 20 something waitresses. When cleaning up the table they carefully move the spent bulbs aside as though they are made of gold. The 40 something waitress sweep 'em in the trash without a second thought.

The problem I had was after about 18 shots, people were ducking and covering when I raised my camera, this generation grew up on wimpy electronic flashes and were complaining about the mighty power of the flashbulb. My only comment I could come up with was, "Once you've been flashed by me, you stay flashed!" No idea what it meant, but most of the people at the party won't remember the party anyway.

Les
pv17vv

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lucky, Guys, you have bulbs to burn !!!
Decent bulbs are next to impossible to find here, even M3's or PF1B's are rare.
BTW, 99 out of 100 persons have never seen a big bulb like a #11 and they would probably ask ' why on earth did you put your kitchen lamp there ? '

mopar_guy

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
This last Thanksgiving I brought my 2x3 Crown to get some family photos. After two Press 25's I had everyone running for cover. I guess it's the thought that counts.

George, I think that your shot of those ladies, (make that guys) is great. I'm sure that it gave them quite a thrill to have their picture taken by such a classy camera and a flash bulb. Keep up the good work.

Regards,
Dave
flashbulbman

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use only flashbulbs and have done so since 1951. I have cases of Press 25s in the garage with 144 bulbs a case. I just bought a case of Press 25B ,which are blue for color shots.

I completed a school yearbook and did all the group interior shots with the flashbulbs. I have a 3 cell unit with 2 Graflex slave units. I love the fact that I do not have to carry all that electronic flash gear with me. My wife packs about 60 bulbs in a neat plastic clear egg containter making them easy and light to transport.

The kids got a real kick out of watching me set up and shoot the bulbs from my Speed Graphics. I love having a unit on a light stand, high above and center of my lens. It gives off a powerful light that has a long burn and erases the wrinkles from the older women's faces. The faces on everyone seem to glow. There is nothing like a Press 25 on a Speed Graphic for power and ease of use. Having the flash high and directly centered over the lens eliminates shadows behind the subjects.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have over 1,000 assorted bulbs. I use them judiciously because when they're gone, that's all she wrote.
Even the Speed Midget gas filled bulbs put out quite a blast of light, and they're not very potent. I think I'm down to a case of those. I wish I could stumble onto a stash of #75 bulbs. I'd go out in a blaze of glory.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
alecj

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got about that many big bulbs left, Glenn, plus another 1,000 or so 25Bs. I sold 1,500 25s to a Movie Prop Company last year. Now, when I see Speeds being fired in the movies, I dream it's my old bulbs!

I kinda hated to sell to them, but it is astounding what they will pay.

Alec
SYNCHROJAMES

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:04 am    Post subject: Blue vs clear Reply with quote

I just picked up some press 25's, and I have one box of 25B's. I know the blue guys are for color film-how will they affect B&W? I am shooting just B&W in my CG and if the effect won't be to strange, I'll go back & scoop up the 25B's I didn't grab last time.
alecj

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are terrible for B&W. Tell me where they are and I'll take care of them for you.

Seriously, get them. Just a tad difference in light output. Well worth the effort if the price is right, considering the declining supply.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply add one stop more exposure for blue bulbs. If that don't work, just send them to me for scientific evaluation. :)

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: