Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graphic film pack adaptor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
edrobb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a film pack adaptor on eBay. The back label says "Graphic Film Pack Adaptor, cat. no. 1234. Does anyone know anything about it, especially how it works and what type of film might be available.
RichS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, there's no film available for it at all. Just an interesting collector's piece...
flynn68

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Film pack was rather like Polariod pack films in that they contained sheets of film that you shuffled by pulling on paper tabs attached to the film. It was like sheet film coated on a rollfim base which made it a bit tricky to process. If memory serves, there were 16 exposures per pack. They disappeared probably in the late 60's or so.
edrobb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your thoughts! Sounds like I have a collector's item - eBay may see it up for auction!

Will any of the new film packs, for example Fuji's, work with a Graflex back? Or should I consider all of my 2 sheet film holders as my best friends?

Thanks all!
jpmose

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Film packs were available at least to the early 1980's, which is the last time I bought one. 16 exposures per pack. As prior posting stated, a lot like Polariod packs. A new pack was opened in indirect light. Then placed in the film pack adaptor that the first post describes. The first black paper tab pulled completely out...this blocked the 1st sheet from exposure so the pack could be loaded in daylight. The next 16 sheets of black paper had the exposure number on the tab. After each exposure, the tab was pulled until it stopped, then torn off. Each sheet of film was repositioned to the back of the pack. After the last exposure, # 16 was pulled and a metal plate pops up and seals off the front of the film pack, preventing light from entering.

Sounds like a great concept, expect the film was thin and prone to buckling. Also tricker to process. Thirty years ago I remember questioning oldtimers and they said they were never that popular even in their prime.

Film packs were never available in as many emulsions as sheet film. As far as I know, it was only available in black and white. At some point, packs were switched from 12 sheet packs to 16 sheet packs.

This is all I know. Incidently, the film pack that I bought in the early 1980's is still in the film pack adaptor with about 12 shots to go....it will probably stay in the Vulcanoid case as long as I own it.

JP Mose
edrobb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks JP! eBay is looking more and more likely for disposition of this gem.

Ed
alecj

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't plan any celebration based on the proceeds, Ed. They usually don't sell there, [of course you just proved they CAN sell, didn't you?] or, if so for only a piddling amount. I keep one just for looks.

BTW, these holders had some sharpness problems too. I remember one end [or the other] was always unsharp right toward the edge so I couldn't rely on the whole image being usable. Lots of good pics were taken with them, though, including Rosenthal's Iwo Jima photo.

Alec

[ This Message was edited by: alecj on 2002-03-22 15:35 ]
edrobb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately, I didn't pay much for it on eBay.
Les

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pack film adapter that has any value is the older one, the with the leather covering the cover. Carefully strip the leather off and use it to replace the leather that came off the ground glass hood on that Pre-Ann.

Also in the mini speed versions....

A pack film adapter is worth only a buck or two but the darkslide that is still in it is work about 5 to 7 when solde by itself.
edrobb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: