Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Raptar 90 6.8 filter size
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slikj

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Raptar 90 6.8 filter size Reply with quote

Can anybody tell me the filter thread size for my Raptar 90mm 6.8?
I have searched it without success. I want to buy step up rings to use my filters on it. It measures at about 30mm but I see that 30.5 is also a standard size.
Thanks.
bruiser

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi slikj,

My Optar 90mm f6.8, also made by Wollensak, has no front thread for screw-in filters.

You would have to get a Series V or Series VI 32mm push-on adapter, which has threads, and then find the step-up ring(s) to suit your filters. Depending on your filter diameter I'm not sure whether a Series V setup would vignette on the 90mm lens or not. Anyone else had experience?

Search for 'series V' and/or 'series VI' in the Cameras and Photo section on the major auction site and you'll get an idea of what's available.

Cheers,
Bruce
slikj

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I should have checked that before posting!
I may end up hand holding filters on this lens. I want to see some results before I go on a big hunt for 'bits'.
bruiser

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the trouble with us Aussies...we do everything upside down!!

Cheers,
Bruce
DHF845

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Filter Size Reply with quote

The best way to be sure is to 'mic' the lens' rim. I just bought a cheap dial micrometer at an auto parts store for about $8.00. It measures down to 64ths of an inch and half-millemeters. That'll do it.
slikj

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I think I need (want) one of those.
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slikj, by all means post your lens front element measurement here, and we'll have the answer for you. But I can say with reasonable assurance that you will be needing series VI slip rings and filters for your camera; certainly if it's a 2x3, series VI is the one. With a set of series VI filters and slip rings, assembled over many trips to camera shows, I can fit a complete range of Optar lenses for my Century, from 65mm up through 203mm, with the appropriate series VI filters and slip rings. I strongly suspect that the same holds true for 4x5 as well, as this format shares many lens sizes with the 2x3, but others will have to confirm this.

Series VI slip rings were made in sizes ranging between 1-1/4" (31.5mm) and 1-21/32". Some of these, such as the 31.5mm, which fits the 101mm lens, are easier to find than others, such as the 33mm, which fits the 65mm lens. The largest one I have is 1-9/16" (39.5mm), which fits the 203mm lens.

I would advise you not to consider series V. These are harder to find, and they are too small to fit the complete range of lenses for our Graphic cameras. I don't believe that your 90mm Raptar lens has a front element of 30 or 30.5mm, but rather you will find it to be at least 31.5mm. But I'm prepared to be surprised---who would have thought that the 65 lens has a larger diameter front element housing than the 101?? The 65 lens glass itself is tiny compared with the 101. Sometimes these things are counter-intuitive!
C. Henry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with Henry's advice to avoid Series V filters. I have complete sets of both Series V & Series VI filters and 1 1/4"-31.5mm adapter rings for both so I can use either on my 2 1/4" x 3 1/4" Speed Graphic.
The series V does not vignette on my 101mm/f4.5 Ektar but vignettes so severely on my Leitmeyr f6.8/65mm lens that I would not use Series V with that lens even with a 6x6 roll film holder!
I would suspect that Series V filters would vignette a bit with a 90mm lens although I have not tried that combination.

C.Henry
slikj

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a good steel ruler and my failing eyesight, the outer diameter of this lens is 31.5mm, so series VI it is!
Thanks everybody for your help on this, when I get the bits I'll post again. It's going to be interesting to find out if this lens gets me the results I want, or if I have to go the fuji lens route.
I want to shoot a series of harsh B&W landscapes locally, featuring lava strewn paddocks and 'mini' volcanoes. I'm hoping for some dramatic weather to light the scene with. I'm going to try some 100asa sheet film from the Czech republic I've purchased from the auction site.
slikj

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: More newby questions. Reply with quote

I've just received a lens board in the post for this lens ( Wollensack 90mm Raptar in Rapax shutter). I mounted the lens on the board and attached to the front standard. The focus point seems to be way back in the camera - i.e. the lens is back on the rails almost inside the camera.
Have I bought the wrong lens ( for this 4x5 camera) or do I need a recessed lens board?
The point of focus seems to be right at the inner end of bellows adjustment. Am I missing something obvious here?
slikj

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been fiddling around with the camera a little more and by locking the lens board right back in the camera I'm able to focus on infinity and past infinity, so it looks OK.
I was just surprised that the infinity position is so different to the position using my other lenses.
I've worked out the 'rail drop' mechanism as well.
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the 90 on a 4x5, but I can tell you that my 65 on the 2x3 behaves as you describe: infinity focus is way back on the rails with bellows almost fully compressed. The range of travel to focus the 65 is small; in fact, focussing this baby is the most tedious part of using it. I use what has often been described as "the best worst method," but don't blink or you'll pass the sweet spot!

Since I don't have another pair of infinity stops, I marked infinity focus on the rails with "permanent" marker just to give me a starting reference.
slikj

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Henry - I'm in business!
troublemaker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold my 90 Raptar 6.8 so can't try my slips on it but Iknow one of mine fit. As far as I know the Series VI came in 1-1/4, 1-5/16, 1-1/2, 1-9/16". There may be more but these fit almost everyhting I need a Series VI for. Series V is too small and works better for the old 35mm and TLR's. Also, if you get a 44mm step up thread in ring it will fit securely in the Series VI so you can use a variety of filters. I get my step ups from B&H and IIRC the only one in the 44mm is the 44 to 55mm, and then I sometimes go up 55 to 62 to use some of my round 35mm filters. Basically I have a few slips and a couple adapters and that takes care of all my 35mm, 6x9 and 4x5 kits.
One nice way I went was to get a Cokin A series slider with a 55mm ring and that has worked real nice for using graduated filters at sunrise and sunset for landscapes, and I can get away with it with a 90mm wide on a 4x5. Vinettes with 65mm.
slikj

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've come to the conclusion this is the way to go. I also have a caltar 210mm which has a 49mm thread, so I just need slip ons for the optar and raptar with step ups to standardize on 49 mm. This gets me into polarizing when I want it and avoids separation problems with old series filters.
The optar 135 is definately a 1.5" slip on.
I used the Cokin system in a previous life (late seventies!) and liked it, but can't get rid of the feeling that glass is better than resin! There is probably no technical data for that reasoning. The ability to position a grad filter where you want it in the frame is attractive. Maybe I'll get a 4x4 grad and hand hold it.
Right now I'm trying to find some exposed or otherwise useless 4x5 sheet film to practise loading my Grafmatics. If anybody has any, I'll Paypal the postage! I have a good, large changing bag.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: