Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lens for Century 2x3

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
0005551212



Joined: 15 Mar 2002
Posts: 5
Location: midwest

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some help please.
I aquired a Century (2x3) with a Kodak Ektar 101mm f4.5. I use it for landscapes. Edge shapness seems to be good. According to information I found on this web site the Ektars are "solid performers". Is this lens among the sharpest for this format (6x9)? If I wanted a sharper one what should I look for?
Thanks
Chris
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Les



Joined: 09 May 2001
Posts: 2682
Location: Detroit, MI

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for a 105mm Ekatar, a 100 symmar or Symmar S, and i'm sure there are equivelent lenses available from Rodenstock, Caltar, and even Fuji.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dan Fromm



Joined: 14 May 2001
Posts: 1863
Location: New Jersey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-15 08:41, 0005551212 wrote:
Some help please.
I aquired a Century (2x3) with a Kodak Ektar 101mm f4.5. I use it for landscapes. Edge shapness seems to be good. According to information I found on this web site the Ektars are "solid performers". Is this lens among the sharpest for this format (6x9)? If I wanted a sharper one what should I look for?
Thanks
Chris
Um, don't get a sharper lens, hold the camera steadier.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
0005551212



Joined: 15 Mar 2002
Posts: 5
Location: midwest

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan Fromm,
Nice comment, but I use the same tripod I use for my Toyo Field. Tripod probably cost more than your car. I was interested in some good imput from some experienced people, I know they are out there, but that leaves you out doesn't it.
Chris

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Les



Joined: 09 May 2001
Posts: 2682
Location: Detroit, MI

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,
Experienced users usually give their advice to curteous people who are respectful of others.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Henry



Joined: 09 May 2001
Posts: 1426
Location: Allentown, Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that would eliminate at least one person from this board....

Seriously, Chris---I'll say it again, as I have in the past. Don't overlook the 101 f/4.5 Optar. Of course, it depends on how much enlargement you want, but I have found the 101 Optar to be very sharp from center out to edges to at least 11x14. This is in 6x7 format, negatives scanned into Photoshop and sharpened to 100 value with the unsharp mask.
The Optar also will cover all available movements on the Century without vignetting, and best of all it's affordable. Also you cannot beat the Graphex shutter no matter how much you spend. I speak from my experience with the Optar in Graphex compared to the Schneider Angulon in Synchro Compur---the latter definitely my second choice. Kodak Supermatic, etc., shutters are the worst, IMHO.
_________________


[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2002-03-15 18:54 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2002-03-17 04:23 ]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dan Fromm



Joined: 14 May 2001
Posts: 1863
Location: New Jersey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-15 15:24, 0005551212 wrote:
Thanks Dan Fromm,
Nice comment, but I use the same tripod I use for my Toyo Field. Tripod probably cost more than your car. I was interested in some good imput from some experienced people, I know they are out there, but that leaves you out doesn't it.
Chris


Um, experienced photographers know that equipment obsessions are misdirected.

Experienced photographers know that the best, and most cost-effective way to improve their photographs' technical quality, given that they already have gear that's miminally capable, is to improve their technique.

Experienced seekers after knowledge explain their problems well.

Experienced photographers know that tessar-type lenses (that's your 101 Ektar) can perform well but are typically narrow-angle lenses, i.e., have limited coverage.

Thoughtful and experienced photographers know that film performance, not lens performance, given a minimally capable lens, is what limits image quality. What emulsions do you use?

Many, not all, experienced large format equipment freaks are aware of Chris Perez' web site, which reports the results of some very serious casual lens testing. Per Chris, the 101 Ektar is outstanding; practically speaking there's nothing better in tessar-type lenses for 2x3. If their greater coverage isn't needed, plasmat types offer no practical advantages.

Still photographers of all experience levels have no concept of how much tripods can cost. Suggest you subscribe to American Cinematographer and read the ads. Alternatively, check Alan Gordon's prices on used tripods. That said, it still takes a large effort to spend more on a tripod that one person can carry than on a new car of any quality at all.

Cheers,

Dan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
0005551212



Joined: 15 Mar 2002
Posts: 5
Location: midwest

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Dan for your information. First let me apologize for tastless comment of the other day. I thought that you were just being 'cute' so I sent a 'snipit' back. Please forgive.
As per how I use my little centuries. Films are Velvia, and Ilfore B&W. Thats about it for this format. Never go above 11x14 and almost always 8x10 full frames. Don't get into movements with these cameras.
I don't want to get into that game where one spends lots more money to only get incremental improvement, when as you said, there are other ways to improve the image, tripods, developers and the like. The Ektar I have seems to give good sharpness to edges. Would a Carl Zeiss Jena 2.8 80 be much better or would I just be gaining a pinch.
Thank you in anvance and to the others who replied.
Learning,
Chris.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Les



Joined: 09 May 2001
Posts: 2682
Location: Detroit, MI

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. an 80 planar wouldn't gain you much as it's prime format is 6x6, 6x7 is squeaking the edges and if your're a stickler for sharpness in the corners you'll be spending money in the wrong places.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dan Fromm



Joined: 14 May 2001
Posts: 1863
Location: New Jersey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-17 13:50, 0005551212 wrote:
Thank you Dan for your information. First let me apologize for tastless comment of the other day. I thought that you were just being 'cute' so I sent a 'snipit' back. Please forgive.
As per how I use my little centuries. Films are Velvia, and Ilfore B&W. Thats about it for this format. Never go above 11x14 and almost always 8x10 full frames. Don't get into movements with these cameras.
I don't want to get into that game where one spends lots more money to only get incremental improvement, when as you said, there are other ways to improve the image, tripods, developers and the like. The Ektar I have seems to give good sharpness to edges. Would a Carl Zeiss Jena 2.8 80 be much better or would I just be gaining a pinch.
Thank you in anvance and to the others who replied.
Learning,
Chris.
Cute? Me? Ugly's more like it.

Well, for sharpness Velvia is as good as it gets in 120 chrome film. Which Ilford B&W emulsion do you use? AFAIK, in practice nothing, not even TP, beats TMX for quality enough to be worth bothering with. Even so I miss APX 25.

What apertures do you normally shoot at? For the 101/4.5 (I use one) and 105/3.7 (ditto) Ektars, f/11 - f/16 seems to be best.

How do you trigger the shutter? Long cable release seems to impart the least shake. Some people advocate air releases for that reason. Index finger seems shakier most of the time.

CZJ 80/2.8. Hmmm. Would that be a lens for a 6x6 Pentacon? If so, probably not as sharp as y'r antique 101/4.5, and a pointed out won't cover 6x9. If a Planar, not sharper than the Ektar and still won't cover 6x9.

Y'might try the "shoot a fence at an angle" test to find out where your camera actually focuses when you think its in good focus. Then, if necessary, adjust ground glass or holder so that focus on gg and film coincide.

Cheers,

Dan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PC



Joined: 11 Mar 2002
Posts: 12
Location: North Florida

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand this thread. . . you are doing landscapes and are disatisfied with your 101 "normal" lens. I would like to recommend a lens that I use on my 6X9 for a "normal" lens - thusly the Schneider-Kreuznach 90mm f:6.8 Angulon. This is actually a 4X5 wide angle so any swing & tilts you may employ in composing the scene are well within the circle of illumination. As for sharpness the lens I own is excellent in everyway - contrast, sharpness, resolution of greyscale.

Always Seeking the Mythical 132 Shades of Grey!

Just my 2cents,
Paul
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
0005551212



Joined: 15 Mar 2002
Posts: 5
Location: midwest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Paul, Dan, Less, and Henry.
To Paul,, not actually disatisfied with the Ektar, but wondering where it stacked up with others available for 6x9. Didn't want to aquire a bunch of lenses and do a bunch of testing when there were answers already out there re.(Henry,Les,Dan, and yourself.)Looks like I came to the right place to the help.
To Dan, I'm using HP5 cut sheet for my B&W. I like its latitude cause I do quite a bit of outdoor hiking, and light changes so much from open areas to deep woods, and usually as you suggested f11,16. Try to use tripod and cable when possible but sometimes a log or rock for a rest is all that is available.
Thanks to all for good advice, I think I've got it now.
Next time maybe someone can tell me if I can hook my Metz 60-ct-4 up to my Centuries.
Thanks,
Chris
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dan Fromm



Joined: 14 May 2001
Posts: 1863
Location: New Jersey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-18 08:58, 0005551212 wrote:
Thank you Paul, Dan, Less, and Henry.
To Paul,, not actually disatisfied with the Ektar, but wondering where it stacked up with others available for 6x9. Didn't want to aquire a bunch of lenses and do a bunch of testing when there were answers already out there re.(Henry,Les,Dan, and yourself.)Looks like I came to the right place to the help.
To Dan, I'm using HP5 cut sheet for my B&W. I like its latitude cause I do quite a bit of outdoor hiking, and light changes so much from open areas to deep woods, and usually as you suggested f11,16. Try to use tripod and cable when possible but sometimes a log or rock for a rest is all that is available.
Thanks to all for good advice, I think I've got it now.
Next time maybe someone can tell me if I can hook my Metz 60-ct-4 up to my Centuries.
Thanks,
Chris
To hook the flash up (migod, its a whopper!) all you need is a cable. Your shutter has either a bipost (2 pins, what would you expect with that name?) or an ASA connector. Either way, Paramount Cords has what you need. Buy, and blast.

Cheers,

Dan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
0005551212



Joined: 15 Mar 2002
Posts: 5
Location: midwest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan, you're a class act.
Got my cord on the way.

Chris
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group