Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflex Jr. flash unit with Graflex extension unit.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flashbulbman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:22 am    Post subject: Graflex Jr. flash unit with Graflex extension unit. Reply with quote

I just got a Graflex extension unit. I never used one. I have 3 Graflex Jr flash units that I use, one at a time, never together. I want to use the lightweight extension unit. I like the Jr. since it is much lighter and uses only 2 D cells.

What is the correct way to conect the extension to the Jr.? The Jr. has two extension outlets, one that reads BC and the other reads N. Which one do I connect the AC plug to on the Jr. and which one on the extension?

Would appriciate a response from someone who actually knows and did it.
Les

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use an AC to AC cord and run them from the N outlet to N outlet (that puts the flashbulbs in parallel) when using batteries.

If you have a Battery/Capacitor cartridge, then plug the cord into the BC outlet on the flash (series circuit) and N outlet on the extension (to close the circuit) multiple extensions can be used by going BC to BC as long as the last extension is using the N outlet.

Multiple extensions can be used with batteries, but Graflex suggests adding a cell for each extension beyond the first. (or one cell per bulb) These are strung together N to N add N-finitum

Paraphrased from the Graflex Jr. instruction manual
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Related to this, since Les mentioned it (above), I gather that nobody these days makes/markets the battery-capacitor cartridge. I've searched the 'net for something equivalent and have come up empty. Anybody have suggestions for a source, or how to kluge up a suitable substitute?
Les

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made my own. Originals used a 22.5v battery which is still available but I, er kluged together a pair of 9v batteries in series (radioshack terminals epoxied together) with a 270 micro farad capacitor. The voltage rating for the cap is inconsequential as it will only work up to the voltage applied. I think mine is rated for 200vdc, but I only get 18v out of it. Still it will give a good poke and I've used it to run 6 bulbs at once. Better still, never had a misfire.

The only hazard is you have to remember to unplug the batteries when done. (the original somehow used the bulb to close the circuit, but not set off the bulb)

Since I'm hopeless forgetful, I added a neon bulb, and a plastic plug for the bottom of the Graflite and a switch. The frosted plastic amplifies the neon bulb and reminds me to turn the dang thing off.
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Les. Could you post some pictures? I'm having trouble trying to visualize your set-up.
flashbulbman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Les.
flashbulbman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry, there is a brand new old stock in the box cartridge box on ebay righ now. Item 250389672567
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: