Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cable Release for Optar lens?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
danlidon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Cable Release for Optar lens? Reply with quote

I just bought a Busch Pressman Model D that came with a Graflex Optar 135mm and was wondering if there was a way to attach a cable release for the shutter. I don't see a place to connect my cable I use on my Toyo so I'm assuming I'll have to buy something different. This is my first press camera so any information would be helpful.
mopar_guy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Cable release Reply with quote

Hi, Graphex shutter for Optar lenses commonly have a socket for attaching a cable release. As you look at the shutter from the front, the cable release is screwed into the fitting that is just counterclockwise from the cocking lever. Hope this helps.
Regards, Dave
I guess that I could get a digital camera but it would be obsolete in a couple of years (three tops). Or I could use my 3x4 Anniversary Speed Graphic. Heck, it's been obsolete for 50 years. That's way better than digital.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may be a plug in the socket. If so, unscrew it.
danlidon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for getting back to me. i found the socket where the cable release connects. I was confused at first because the socket is square. does this lens take a square shaped cable release? i've only used ones that are round and they wont seem to fit on this lens.
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like something is missing. There should be a small, square, silver-colored housing with a round, threaded hole in its center to receive the threaded end of your cable release. If you have only a square hole, with no housing, then it's gone and you won't be able to connect the cable release.
danlidon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been using the optar without a cable release some time, and i've finally decided that its not worth my time to try to fix cable socket. so I bought a kodak supermatic 127mm to replace it.

my next question is, how do I take the optar off the lensboard? it doesn't seem to just unscrew like other lenses i've dealt with in the past. sorry if questions seem dumb, but i am a newbie to graflex cameras.
alecj

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on the back of the lensboard. You will see a retaining ring. That ring screws into the back of the lens which protruded through the lensboard itself and was threaded.

There is a wrench, called a spanning wrench for obvious reasons, available to loosen that ring, or you may try something else. Just be careful not to scratch that rear element staring you in the face from back there.
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had success using needle-nose pliers to span the ring and engage its slots, but as alecj says, be careful! You may want to remove the rear lens element before attempting to loosen the ring (also called, for reasons unknown to me, a "jamb nut"). Of course, having removed the lens element, you still need to exercise care that the pliers don't slip and damage the iris diaphragm!
danlidon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys I'll give the pliers a try and see how it goes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: