Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

odd accessory in Delmar Watson obit photo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robcruickshank

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: odd accessory in Delmar Watson obit photo Reply with quote

Anyone have any idea what the accessory attached to the lensboard is in the photo in this story?
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/valley/la-me-watson28-2008oct28,0,3581624.story
C. Henry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob;

I've never seen one but a wild guess is that it is a polarizer or a neutral density filter to modify one of the two images in the top range finder. It looks a bit like the filters on a mariners sextant that were used to darken the image of the sun and reduce reflections on the water when taking sun sights.

C. Henry
robcruickshank

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C. Henry wrote:
Rob;

I've never seen one but a wild guess is that it is a polarizer or a neutral density filter to modify one of the two images in the top range finder. It looks a bit like the filters on a mariners sextant that were used to darken the image of the sun and reduce reflections on the water when taking sun sights.

C. Henry

Yeah, I thought maybe polarizer, since it looks a bit like some of the old polarizers that had a little viewing window on an arm, for rangefinder cameras. I couldn't figure out how it would rotate, though.
Les

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a focusing aid. Forerunner of the Kalart Focospot and Graflex Rangelight.
The thing on the top is effectively batteries and a light bulb, the object on the lens board is a lens. Turn the light on and when the filament in the light bulb is in focus on your subject, the subject is in focus.

The trouble with this version is it could only be calibrated for one distance so most photographers set it up for 10 feet or so and let depth of field catch any error. I have one made by Western Photo Products and they called it a Focuspot.
robcruickshank

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les wrote:
It's a focusing aid. Forerunner of the Kalart Focospot and Graflex Rangelight.
The thing on the top is effectively batteries and a light bulb, the object on the lens board is a lens. Turn the light on and when the filament in the light bulb is in focus on your subject, the subject is in focus.

The trouble with this version is it could only be calibrated for one distance so most photographers set it up for 10 feet or so and let depth of field catch any error. I have one made by Western Photo Products and they called it a Focuspot.

Ah! That makes sense. Thanks! A friend of mine does underwater work, and there's a similar, but more high-tech contraption on one of the underwater cameras:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dryodora/2906709816/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: