Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sending Sheet Film to a Processing Lab

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimBob

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Sending Sheet Film to a Processing Lab Reply with quote

I am just getting started in large-format photography with a Super Graphic I picked up last week. I would like to shoot a few test images through it with Fuji Provia. What I can't figure out is how to get the film to the lab. I have read that some will place the exposed film in an empty film box for shipment, but what do you do when you don't have any empty film boxes? One of the advantages of sheet film is individual processing but I'm stumped on how to get the sheets to the lab.
Les

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask around town if there are any large format photographers that haven't made the ride to the cemetery yet, and ask if they have an old film box you can have. Local colleges with a photo curriculum may be another option. Lastly you can buy two boxes of Provia and put all the un exposed film in one box.

If you are lucky enough to have the lab within driving range you can ask them if you can unload the holders there. It's also possible that they could unload the holders and hang the film directly for processing as I doubt there's a big backlog of E6 these days.

the riskiest is to put the exposed film in with the unexposed film. Separate the two with a piece of cardboard, or leave the exposed film on top of the envelope that the unexposed film is in. Then you tape a piece of paper over the top of the box and mark clearly "6 sheets of exposed film only. leave the other film alone!" It's also best if you can talk to the lab tech that will be processing it and make sure he knows what is going on.

You can also find a decent regular box and tape the heck out of it and wrap the film in aluminum foil then put it inside.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't find an empty film box, put your film in a clean paper envelope, then wrap the envelope in aluminum foil. Then you can send it in one of those small priority mail boxes from the post office. VCR tape size. Use some packing to fill it up but don't smoosh the film. Be sure to include a full size paper with film type and processing instructions (normal process, push 1 stop, whatever), taped to the film wrapping, in the box. Clearly mark the outside of the box - - "Contains exposed photo film".
They'll know what to do with it.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
mopar_guy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Sheet film mailing Reply with quote

FYI:
Porter's Camera Store of Cedar Falls, Iowa does a mail order business selling a ton of handy items. One of the items that they had is called "Opaque Bags". These are black plastic bags that are similar to the bags that sheet film comes in when new. Ten 7x9 inch bags for a couple of dollars if I remember right. Put some stiff cardboard in the bag with the film and you can mail the whole thing in to a lab in a mailing envelope. Remember to include a note with film type, etc.
I guess that I could get a digital camera but it would be obsolete in a couple of years (three tops). Or I could use my 3x4 Anniversary Speed Graphic. Heck, it's been obsolete for 50 years. That's way better than digital.
JimBob

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas. I think I'll give the light-tight bags a shot. I wandered around town today and found a local lab that will process E6 sheet film. I should be able to get the bags back when I pick up the film.

Now I just wish I could find a local source that sells sheet film!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: