Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why the hate?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
monkeykoder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:01 am    Post subject: Why the hate? Reply with quote

Everywhere I go I see people hating on the Yankee cut film daylight tank. If my first round of negatives through it are any indication I'm going to love this thing.
David A. Goldfarb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that success with the Yankee tank depends largely on what developer you use. The manufacturer's recommended side-to-side agitation method produces uneven development problems in many cases. It's much less vigorous than shuffling sheets in a tray, inverting a daylight tank, or lifting a hanger out of a deep tank. But maybe some developers are less sensitive to agitation issues, so some people manage to do okay with these things.

Using three of these tanks in the dark as you would use a regular tank line seems to be a better alternative, and since darkroom stuff is cheap and plentiful these days, it's not unaffordable. Or if you've only got one, you might try turning off the lights to agitate by lifting the rack out of the tank and draining as you would do with the tank and hanger method.

If you want to use a daylight tank, I quite like the old stainless steel Nikor tanks. Some people have problems with them, because they haven't read the instructions or haven't figured out how to adjust and load them properly. I've posted the instruction sheet over on apug.org in this thread--

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/30192-nikor-cut-film-tank.html
minox59

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used yankee tanks and at first they were great. Then I started getting uneven developing so now I'm back to the tray.
Jim23

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject: Film in Hangers Reply with quote

I get outstanding results with open 64 oz. tanks (total darkness required) and stainless hangers. HC110 Dilution B or D76 1:1 are favorites. I reuse the HC110, stop, and fix. I immediately pour it back into the bottles from the hard rubber open tanks when thru. The D76 1:1 I only use for one session then discard. The disadvantage is that I can only process six sheets at once (luckily a Grafmatic full!). I get great even results following the Kodak-recommended lift-and-tilt agitation method once per minute. Once the film is in the fix for a minute or so, I turn on the lights. I wash the films for 30 minutes, then treat with wetting agent and hang to dry.
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For tank-and-reel development of 35mm stock, I used hypo clearing agent and it really cut down on the final rinse time, i.e., lower water bill and resource use.
Jim23

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Hypo Clearing (Wash) Agent Reply with quote

Henry,

I fully agree. I actually use Hypo Clearing Agent or Orbit Bath myself to cut wash time and save a lot of (this time of year - hot) water!

Jim23
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: