Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Press Graflex
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Other Graflex Camera Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willysmb

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Press Graflex Reply with quote

Dear Sir,
Is somebody can help me about the Press Graflex front lens door:

Is this door is finishing in Metal black (grey) peint
or is the door is covering by a leather black like RB

Many thanks.

Laurent
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Press Graflex Reply with quote

Laurent,
Front door covered with leatherette!
Have a nice day........Bert
willysmb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bert,
Many thanks for this informations,
The restoration process is on a good way, and in a very short time, the Press will be take again some pics.

By the way, I will try to make some modification on a Bag mag (graflex type) do you have some pics about the special bag mag?

Following all your recos, the shutter is OK , I need to release all the system for place new leather on the press Side, hope it will be ok again after this operation..

Many thanks for your help.

Laurent
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Press Graflex Bag Mag Reply with quote

Laurent,
I have only seen a couple of photos of the bag mag for this camera, no details at all of the attachment.....but assume that it would attach like the spring back does.....slide in pin in slot on the top and the clamped pin on the bottom!!
Have a nice day........Bert
David A. Goldfarb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got both a plate mag and a film mag for my 5x7" Press Graflex. It doesn't attach like the groundglass back, nor does it use either of the two mounting mechanisms that the groundglass back uses.

There are two pins on the bottom surface of the mounting plate and two clips on top of the body of the magazine that clip in to the camera body.

We just moved to a new apartment, so a lot of things are packed up at the moment, but when we're a bit more settled and I get a chance, I'll post some photos.
willysmb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for theses informations (many thanks too Bert)

The Press is on a good way restoration.

In some days, test pics....

Laurent
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Press Graflex Bag Mag Reply with quote

David and Laurent,
David and I have exchanged photos and ideas on the different backs that came on this model, and, Davids back is much different than the backs on my (2) Press Cameras....appears from this last post, that Davids bag mag attachment is more complicated than mine is also! I shared Davids photos and my photos with Laurent, so he has the whole story, and can relate his camera to both styles of backs....sooo, either method of attachment would be authentic, dependent on the style of the back on Laurents camera! I am sure that Davids camera is the older of the (3) cameras that we have! Not sure if it is Laurents intention to "keep- it authentic", or just to make it usable....but any photos or additional correspondence from both parties is welcome....the quest for any and all possible knowledge about these cameras is important to me, and I like to chit chat with my email friends as often as the opportunity allows!
Since quitting the repair business, I have had much more time to work on my own collection of (69) Graflex/Graphic cameras, fabricating parts and searching thru many hi stacked boxes to find the parts needed to complete the latest restoration! Unfortunatly, I do not have the repair income any more, so cant afford to buy more parts.....and most of the old cameras need to be re-covered with expensive leather goods! Progress is slow, but have made some headway on (3) old Crown Views, have fabricated many of the missing or mangled parts needed, and have refinished most of the parts.....to the point that I can get at least one of the beat up cameras partially back together!
Looking forward to more chit chat!
Have a nice day.........Bert

willysmb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bert

About my intention, I'll try to keep the camera in the authentic, but in mint condition, and to use it indeed.

About the restoration process, just find 3 pics:
Before, and in process

http://cjoint.com/?iiwoycIyUs
http://cjoint.com/?iiwo7kJOpP
http://cjoint.com/?iiwpGxcC06

Another point
The 2 shutters button are differents between camera 15443 (1907) and 84334 (1915.1916)
One is on the leather and the other is inclued in the wood under the leather
http://cjoint.com/?iiwqP1sFSb
http://cjoint.com/?iiwr0Tk0MH

Last pic, the back from 84334 and the top slot
http://cjoint.com/?iiwsxwAXoe

Many thanks again for your help in my project
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: BAG MAG----PRESS GRAFLEX Reply with quote

LAURENT,
BOTH OF MY CAMERAS HAVE THE FOCUS BUSHING ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE LEATHER LIKE YOU SHOW ON PHOTO 15443, THE TRIP LEVER IS LIKE YOURS ALSO!
I HAVENT LOOKED AT MY (2) CAMERAS FOR A WHILE, BUT THE ONE BACK THAT I HAVE HANDY, HAS THE DOUBLE SLOTTED FITTINGS TOP AND BOTTOM AS DAVID DESCRIBES, AND SAME AS THE LAST PHOTO YOU SENT (84334)!
IT HAS BEEN AWHILE SINCE I LOOKED AT EITHER CAMERA, AND I HAD COMPLETELY FORGOTTEN THESE TWO LOCK PLATES BEING THERE!

DAVID, YOU DESCRIBED (I BELIEVE) THAT THERE WERE CLIPS ON ONE SIDE AND PINS ON THE OTHER??? ON MINE, ALL (4) OF THE SLOTS ARE CUT STRAIGHT, NO PLACE TO SLIP A PIN INTO?? (CANT LOOK AT YOUR RESPONSE WITHOUT HAVING TO START OVER ON THIS REPLY) SO...I AM ASSUMMING THAT THERE MUST BE "L" SHAPED CLIPS IN ALL (4) POSITIONS, OR THAT ONE OF MY SLOTTED PLATES HAS BEEN SWITCHED??
HAVE A NICE DAY........BERT

David A. Goldfarb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All four slots on the camera are the same, but the bag mag has pins on the bottom. It doesn't mount upside down, so I guess the reasons for having slots on the bottom instead of little holes would be ease of manufacture and to make it faster to mount. The lock rib on the back holds the back in place and keeps it from sliding around. I think this design was around for quite a while, because my film magazine seems much later than the plate mag that I have.

I got the plate mag from Lens and Repro. They said it had been sitting on the shelf in the back for years, and even though they specialize in repairing Graflex SLRs, they had no idea what it was for until I brought in the 5x7" Press Graflex.
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Press Graflex Bag Mag Reply with quote

David,
Your probably the only guy on the planet with 2 bag mags that fit a 5x7 Press Graflex (and one that also has a brand new handle, havent made one for myself yet....your handle took so much time, that I could'nt handle another one so soon! haha
After some thought on the bottom pins....I was thinking they would have to >"lock"<, but see now that they fit the slots and ARE automatically locked in the bottom, when retained on the top! The words dont make sense, but the wife would agree, I did have one thought today..."amazing" says she....haha!
Laurent has sent many photos of his cameras to me, he does excellent work, everything I have seen, finishes up looking like new, so his Press will be a real gem when he finishes!
Thanks for the response David.....and have a nice day......Bert
David A. Goldfarb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your handle is holding up very nicely, Bert. I highly recommend making one for yourself!
willysmb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berth, David,

I'm in the final line about the restoration.
So I have an interrogation..
What is your reco about gears and curtain axes : Grease, Oil or nothing ?

Cheers

Laurent
David A. Goldfarb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a photo of the pins on the bottom and the clips on the top of the 5x7" Press Graflex Plate Magazine. The film mag is thinner, lighter, and has a flat grey metal finish, but the attachment mechanism is the same.

willysmb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks David for theses very interessants pics.
I'll try to adapt this to my bag mag.
Cheers
Laurent
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Other Graflex Camera Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: