Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

does 4x5 bag mag use same size film as standard holders?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murray@uptowngallery.org

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject: does 4x5 bag mag use same size film as standard holders? Reply with quote

Does the Graflex 'bag mag' cut film holder, or whatever it's proper name is use standard 4x5 film, or was it a different size?

If it was, anyone know the dimensions?

Thank you

Murray
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheet film is sheet film in any given format. Film holders varry. In 4x5 any brand sheeet film will fit into any type 4x5 film holder but any type film holder may not fit any type camera.

The Graflex Bag Magizine will only fit cameras with a Graflex back.
Murray@uptowngallery.org

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It came packed with a Graflex back and Graflex-back-grooved Grafmatic.

I haven't looked inside to see what the inside of the leather bag looks like...seems like it could be a great source of particles on negatives.
Worth a try for the experience I suppose.

I have taken Graflok & Spring Backs off before but never contemplated how large the mounting footprint of a back was. With a Grafmatic inserted, the back looked larger than I expected, so I feel the need to compare and make sure this whether this was a for a press camera or a reflex type (I haven't compared body sizes on those).

There is no ground glass; I need to look into whether it's missing a focusing panel or if it was a reflex type that had no need for a rear glass screen.
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The outside frame deminsions of a Graflex back for a Pacemaker Crown or Speed will be the same as a Graphic or Graflok, the holder opening will be larger on the Graflex back. Ground glass was optional on Graflex SLR's. The ground glass was mounted into a frame and attached like a film holder and had to be removed to attach a film holder. It is not clear wheter the focus panel was standard on a Graflex back for the Graphic cameras in my reference book(s).

The Bag Magazine's bag is leather exterior and cloth inside only attached at the magazine box. If the bag is intact then pull a sheet out, identify it by the notch code, process it and see what you get. If the leather has holes the film will be foged.
See http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?p=27525#27525
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: