Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Medical Nikkor flash repair

View previous topic :: View next topic  
disemjg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Medical Nikkor flash repair Reply with quote

Here is one from left field for you guys.

I collect early Nikon gear, and recently got a nice Medical Nikkor outfit. For those unfamiliar with the lens, it is a special close-up only 200 f5.6 with a built-in ringlight. Mine has an AC power source.

While I got it for its collector value, it does fit modern Nikon digital SLRs and I decided to power it up and see about maybe using it. The place I got it from had supposedly tested it for function. So I set it up and turned it on. I got one flash from the strobe before there was a mild "pop" from the AC unit, and a small curl of smoke. Not a good sign.

At this point I have to kick myself all the way around the room for trusting the guys that supposedly tested it; the input on the AC unit was set for 100 volts and I should have re-set it to 117. But (like a dummy) I figured that it had worked for them so why reset it. Enough said; it hurts to have to admit the blunder.

Opening the AC unit I found a small canister that I suspect (but am not sure) is a capacitor; it is marked "Atlas Oil 1 microfared (M) CP-C 600WV". This device had ruptured and its contents, a long rolled-up foil strip with an insulation layer, had been ejected along with a small quantity of the oil referred to on the label. I'll ask Les to add a photo to this post so you can see the device.

I of course avoided the two power capacitors carefully; they were in another compartment in the AC cabinet.

So now my quest for a replacement begins; am I correct in my belief that this is indeed a capacitor? And can anyone refer me to a good source to get a replacement? I've googled for Oil filled capacitor and gotten a lot of hits, but since I'm not really sure about what I'm asking for I'll hold off contacting a supplier until I gather a bit more information.

Thanks

John
Les

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a capcitor/condenser to me, probably part of the triggering circuit.

the oil part has me a bit worried. I'm not sure about these smaller caps, but older larger metal encased capacitors had PCB laden oil in them. Nasty stuff
Les

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?SKU=5918065&MPN=40L6101&R=5918065&SEARCH=5918065&DESC=40L6101
disemjg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les:

Thanks for posting the photo, and for the source.

The device that is found at Allied is 600 VDC; the damaged device is marked 600 WV. Any idea what WV is?

I was also suspicious of the "oil" and carefully avoided it while cleaning up the mess. There really was not that much of it, more like a few smears and not a puddle.

Google turned up an interesting page on "oil filled capacitors" that discussed the various "oils" including PCBs. The URL is:

http://my.execpc.com/~endlr/oil_filled.html
Les

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VDC= Voltage direct current

WV or WVDC= Working Volts, and Working Volts, Direct Current.
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil filled capicators were/are used in applications where surges may/do occur due to the self healing characteristics of the oil. A standard .1µf 600VDC capicator will work but will not hold up as well as an oil filled one.
I recomend taking the unit to a technican that services electronic flash. The rest of the circuits need to be tested/checked. While the failure may be just a component failure due to age the entire unit could burn beyond repair if other components are defective.
The difference of the voltage switch being set to 100v instead of 117v is minimum and affects the input transformer and should not result in an over voltage to the output to the flash.
While I am not familuar with flash circuitry or this unit I am capible of testing the circuits and determining if it is a safe bet to replace the capicator and repower.

There is NO guarentee that any electronic unit will work when power is applied even if new. Guarentees only state that IF the unit does not work then a corrective action will be taken.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: