Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Century Graphic lens board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
C. Henry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: No Sale Reply with quote

Just watched the lensboard auction that started this thread end. Even with the starting bid at $78.00, ten bucks below the "Buy it Now" price quoted above, there were no bids!
Guess we are all smarter than the ones that dealer wanted to catch!

C. Henry
C. Henry

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Would you believe it!! Reply with quote

I received an email from eBay to tell me that the dealer has relisted that lensboard at the same prices!!!!!
I will still be surprised if he gets a bid this time around!

C. Henry
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C. Henry, he'll persist for months.
troublemaker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send the seller a message you'll offer him fifteen bucks.
You never know?
clnfrd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI....I received a quote from S.K. on a new board for the Century Graphic/Century shutter. $50.00 with pilot hole...additional $25.00 to bore hole to specs...$5.50 s&h+additional $5.00 to use Paypal = $85.50. Think I'll buy a whole camera with a board. Fred.
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow---$25 to drill the hole seems high, considering that I had the work done at a local machine shop for $8. Of course, $50 for the board is steep too, as you indicate. There's got to be a better way....
clnfrd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW...I offered $30.00 for the board in question...figured I could fit the Century/Trioptar to the 1" hole. She said she would drop the price to $75.00...worth it because it is an original board...not a re-make. Hmm. Drilled for a Copal 1. Didn't know these Japanese knock-offs of Compurs were used on Century Graphics in the '50's and '60's. So much for negotiating. I guess it will be re-listed until heck freezes over. Fred.
troublemaker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May have been intended for the 80mm Xenotar 2.8, which could have been ordered for a late model Century, but I got mine, the whole camera and lens for about 125.00 fixed it up and it is a nice walk around camera.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also got a very nice Century, with a Synchro-Rapid 800 shutter and super-sharp Ektar. I just wanted to use the Trioptar for nostalgia's sake, occasionally, because it's the lens I had on my Century in High School in 1950-52. I shot all the home room pics for the yearbook with that set-up.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

troublemaker wrote:
May have been intended for the 80mm Xenotar 2.8, which could have been ordered for a late model Century, but I got mine, the whole camera and lens for about 125.00 fixed it up and it is a nice walk around camera.
Interesting point, Trouble. But not all of the 80/2.8 Xenotars were mounted in Compur #1. I have one in a #0. Twenty buck lens because the front element has the classic cleaned with sandpaper look and the lens really is soft. I rationalize that the shutter, which is gummed up, will cost less ungummed than just buying a good one.

Fred, you instigator, #1s go in a 41.6 mm hole, #0s in a 34.6.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1's go in a 41.6mm hole? I was just taking the seller's word for it...states the hole in the board is for a Copal 1...and the hole is 1" in diameter in the pic. 1" is approx. 25mm. I've had no experience with Copals or Compurs except for the Compur in my Retina...thus my ignorance. Fred the Instigator.
troublemaker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to find such gems at these unreal prices !
I am in so much trouble...
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question relating to the subject of this thread. Did all original Graflex Century Graphic and Pacemaker lens boards have serial/catalog numbers stamped on them? Thanks. Fred.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clnfrd wrote:
I have a question relating to the subject of this thread. Did all original Graflex Century Graphic and Pacemaker lens boards have serial/catalog numbers stamped on them? Thanks. Fred.
Interesting question, Fred. I have two such boards, each with a dimple for the locating screw and what I think is the original lens mounted. I didn't unscrew the retaining rings, there are no serial or parts numbers elsewhere on them. But it wouldn't surprise me if some boards had parts numbers.

Cheers,

Dan
troublemaker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some do, some don't it appears as I just looked at a bunch of mine.
All with dimples have part numbers. A few flat boards don't have numbers, and a couple do. These are boards from Century, Speed,and Crown 23's. At some point they probably stamped the numbers in and then at another time made a run of them with out. Who knows? Perhaps the unmarked boards went out as undrilled, but I have a Century Special with the 103mm Graftar, which I imagine came with the camera and it has no part numbers; it also has no locating dimple or hole, so could very well have been switcherood at some point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: