Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

8 X 10 Graflex "Copy" Camera - UPDATE WITH PHOTO

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ppknut

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: 8 X 10 Graflex "Copy" Camera - UPDATE WITH PHOTO Reply with quote

I've been trying research an 8 x 10 Folmer-Graflex "Copy" camera that I've had for years. It is quite large and bellows extend something like 6 feet on wooden tracks. It did not have a lens when I acquired it, but I used the camera years ago with lenses of my own. I've checked in McKeown's and Googled online, but have not been able to find any info about this camera.

Does anyone have info or possibly refer me to some resource that would be of use? I'd like to have some idea of value, and will likely be disposing of the camera sometime, as I no longer have a need for it.

Thank you for your consideration.

Last edited by ppknut on Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
woodplane

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 8 X 10 Graflex "Copy" Camera Reply with quote

Everything shows up on ebay eventually. You could watch it, or have an ongoing search email you when something matches. That way you can see what other people are willing to pay for it. Is it not useful as a regular old 8x10? To me, that's enough film for aerial reconnaissance, and would give me film enough for 4, 4x5s, but some people swear by it.
ppknut

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know,.....It's not very practical as a regular old 8x10. It's too large. I no longer have a studio and it's taking up way too much space in the garage. I was just wondering about a value on the darn thing before I try to sell.

I can't bring myself to dump it.
Les

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the Enlarging, Reducing and copying camera that I think it is, It's not worth very much. As you've already figured out, few people have room for the classic 20-50 8x10 portrait camera, this beast is in a world all it's own.

You might do better pulling the lens, adding a piece of glass to the top and selling it as an antique coffee table, or side board.

they were fairly common and made for at least 40 years, though I'm not certain it was in great numbers.
ppknut

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally managed to get a picture of my giant Graflex.

Has anyone seen this one before? Or know more about it?

Or an approximate value?

If not much value, I'll likely look for a museum or school to donate it to.

Thanks for any help!

bruiser

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...that is one MOMMA of a camera! Now, how much to ship to Australia....?

Seriously, good luck in finding a worthy home, she's a beauty.

Cheers,
Bruce
sevo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one is actually a very small variation on the topic - large copy cameras of that vintage almost resemble narrow-track railways...

Unfortunately copy cameras still get scrapped frequently, and given that they are often on offer for nothing but the disassembly and transport cost, the market value tends to be close to zero - but such a almost portable version is maybe a bit more valuable.
ppknut

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.......it's a big 'un!

I'm still very interested in its history and value. If for no other reason than to determine a tax write-off, if donated. I need to part with it. It is just too large to keep anymore.

Anyone in southern California interested?
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an equally odd back that goes with that camera, or one of the big 8X10 Folmers of similar ilk. It's a Folmer Graflex multiple back. For up to nine images on a 5X7 sheet of film. It's a wierd contraption that slides sideways and up & down. It includes a series of masks to make different size images. It looks like maybe the sizes are newspaper or magazine column sizes. The thing will fit an 8X10 Kodak 2-D view camera, too, but it's way too bulky and heavy for that.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: