Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

where can I buy lenses and lens boards for my Crown Graflex

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: where can I buy lenses and lens boards for my Crown Graflex Reply with quote

I have a Crown Graflex 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 and I would like to know where I can buy lenses and lens boards for it. I already know about E-Bay and can't find any there. Any websites out there? Thanks.
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 3¼x4¼ "Anniversary Speed" came with a 127mm. Kodak "Ektar" in "Flash Supermatic" shutter. Several of these are listed on eBay at present. You may wish to try a wider range of keywords for your search.

The lensboard is more problematic; they do turn up from time to time, and people sometimes do run off small lots of new ones. They also are not difficult to fabricate; the "Anniversary" board is a good deal easier to duplicate than the formed metal "Pacemaker" board.

The classical definition of a normal lens was one whose focal length approximated the diagonal of the frame. For the 3¼x4¼ format, this actually is a 135mm. lens. Press photographers often preferred a slightly wider than normal field, so used 127mm. lenses on 3¼x4¼ cameras and 135mm. lenses on 4x5s, for which the classic normal focal length is around 6 ins.

If your camera has a rangefinder, you will want either to determine the focal length for which it's adjusted, or plan to have it adjusted for the lens you buy.

There are large numbers of 127mm. "Ektars" out there, and perhaps an even larger numbers of 135mm. Wollensak "Raptars" and Graflex "Optars."

"Raptars" also were made in 127mm. FL, but for some reason one does not often encounter them.

Zeiss "Tessars" were made in 135mm. focal length for a long, long time, and generally turn up in "Compur" shutters.

All of these were commonly used on "Speed Graphics."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: