Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

lens/ shutter thread size
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flash contact in the Synchro-Rapid 800 is a very flimsy copper or brass piece. It was totally gone on mine. I replaced it with a piece of cable center conductor flattened with a hammer. Getting into it takes a bit of patience. It's been some time ago but the process was very do-able. I'm not a rocket scientist and was successful and it still works very well with my Strobonar Auto 770. Fred.
hurdy_gurdyman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may give it a try on the shutter that the flash doesn't work on. I was an assistant camera repairman back in the early 80's. I'm rusty, but can probably figure it out.

Dave
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't swear that the timing is 100% correct with flashbulbs. I was mainly concerned with electronic flash, so with the shutter set for "X", I, of course, soldered the copper piece in place so that contact was made at the instant the shutter is wide open. I assumed that if this is right on, the other would fall into place. I haven't really tested it with flashbulbs, but it's perfect with electronic flash. Neat shutter. Two sets of blades. 1/800th-second. Mine has performed flawlessly, and the Ektar lens is the best I own. The over-all sharpness and tonal gradations of the grey scale are outstanding. I've made 11"X14" enlargements of detailed subjects such as bald cypresses in winter and the results are striking. Fred.
hurdy_gurdyman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred,

Does your Rapid 800, after your fix, fire the flash when cocking the shutter?

BTW, I haven't used a flash bulb in 20 years. I don't even have a flash bulb type flash unit, but if I ever stumble unto a big batch of blue flashbulbs, I may be enticed to get the "correct" Graflex flash unit (it can always double as a light saber).

Dave
clnfrd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave....No, it does not. I just tested it to be sure my memory wasn't failing. I tested it at 1/25th...and 100th-Second with my Auto 770 and it does not fire during cocking...only when I trip the shutter. I usually use 1/100th for all flash shots...just an old habit. Fred.
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.craigcamera.com/ has the Kodak Shutter manual at the same price that was referenced eariler. Take digital closeups of each stage of disassembly if possible to aid in reassembly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: