Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crown Speed Century Graphic Guide

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
APZ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know any available book like the circa 50's book "Crown Speed Century Graphic Guide" that might still be availbale as a reprint or whatever. I am looking for a good "how to use it" text.
RichS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-07 05:49, APZ wrote:
Anybody know any available book like the circa 50's book "Crown Speed Century Graphic Guide" that might still be availbale as a reprint or whatever. I am looking for a good "how to use it" text.

Hmmm, not familiar with that book and I'll now have to try and find it!
However, the most recommended book would be "Graphic Graflex Photography - the master book for the larger camera" by Morgan & Lester. I would recommend looking for at least an 8th edition, 4th printing dated 1950 because it is the first one to include the 'newer' feature like the Graflok back. The most popular edition are the 10th and 11th dated '54 and '58. They're almost always available on ebay and some used dealers will sometimes have them. Just watch out for the price! They can get quite out of hand on ebay...
Les

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a great how to book, as it's almost always found in fragile condition (pulp paper stock) and the price is usually far beyond it usefulness
Les

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a great how to book, as it's almost always found in fragile condition (pulp paper stock) and the price is usually far beyond it usefulness
Les

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpmose

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Speed Graphic Guide that you reference was issued in the early 1950's by Kenneth Tydings. He later published another soft cover book in the early 1960's (I think 1961) which covered Linhof and Graflex. Yet there's even another early 1960's soft cover book. I have them all at home. They are all great books with lots of photos and statistics. I will look them up tonight and provide more information in the morning.

As the other post stated, "Graphic Graflex Photography" is packed full of information in eleven editions. It should be noted that the 10th edition (1954) also included a supplement, which was issued in 1955 to cover the new top rangefinder Pacemakers. It was a 20 page or less insert to the 10th edition. When searching for the 10th edition on Ebay, watch for this supplement as half the books offered usually have this included. A reissue of the 9th edition was available in the early 1970's...same as the 9th edition except a one page prefix discussing the background of Graflex and this book.

Additionally, books were published on Linhofs which not only provides a lot of information on Linhof cameras, but large format photography in general. The first edition was issued in 1958 called "Linhof Practice". I think there were two more editions under that title through the mid 1960's. In 1967, the book was renamed "Large Format Photography", with another edition in 1974 (final). These were all top quality hard cover books. The first edition from 1958 usually sells for over $100 on Ebay due to rarity. A "Linhof Guide" was also issued in 1953 by Cory Otto (a 68 page soft cover book).

I'll let you know about the books in the morning!

JP

jpmose

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other book I couldn't remember is "Press/View Camera Technique" by Paul Wahl (1962). It is a paperback book and it covers several different brands of cameras.

A correction to my previous posting: "Linhof Guide" by Dr. Otto Croy (not Cory Otto). OOOPS!

JP Mose
jpmose

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichS...check you private messages. JP

JP Mose
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2005-12-24 20:19 ]
RichS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-07 14:30, jpmose wrote:
RichS...check you private messages. JP

Thanks! Read and replied to
APZ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all - thank you very much. As usual this board has been a great help with detailed knowledge of the subject!
jpmose

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...the other book by Kenneth Tydings is "Graphic & Linhof Press Camera Guide" published in 1961. A 5" X 7" paperback book, 127 pages. This is more of a users guide with a lot of suggestions on shooting with large format. The other book I mentioned yesterday, "Press View Camera Technique" is more of an information guide on the cameras, with the emphasis on Graflex and Linhof.

JP Mose
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: