Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Compact Graflex Info

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Walt Wiley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:29 am    Post subject: Compact Graflex Info Reply with quote

I decided to sell what I thought was my 3 1/4 X 4 1/4 ancient, battlescarred Graflex, but when I got it out of the closet to get all the info so I could offer it on eBay, I was surprised. It's a Compact, with a 3 1/4 X 5 1/2 image size.
Lens is an f:4.5 Bausch & Lomb Tessar. No focal length. I just says "5X7," which is what -- 8 1/2 inches or so?

What a strange concept. It has no tripod mount on the bottom, but one on the side, which would make it useful for portraits -- if you didn't mind your subject upside down AND backwards! (Maybe it had a ground glass for the back at one time, but there's nothing there now.)

What's with the format? The camera has a film pack adapter in the proper size, which indicates to me that it was possible at one time to buy film packs in that size. Must've been somewhat popular, but for what? Panoramas? Were there regular holders or cut film magazines in this size as well? Maybe some sort of roll film lash-up?

Anyone have suggestions on where I could go to learn more about this old girl? I'm really intrigued.
camz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Compact Reply with quote

Hi Walt,

The 3-1/4 x 5-1/2 size is postcard size. You could take photos with this camera and have contact prints made on postcard-size paper. Polaroid did the same thing a generation later. The Compact was also made in 5x7. The B&L 5x7 lens is 7.5 inches, and is the one listed in my catalogue for your camera.

Chris
Walt Wiley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course. I probly knew that at one time.

Is this catalong to which you refer available on line anywhere?

Any idea about that tripod socket on the side?
Walt Wiley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably knew it was postcard format at one time, that is.

This is wonderful new info.
camz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Tripod sockets Reply with quote

Some Graflex models without a revolving back, had two tripod sockets - one on the left-hand side, as well as on the bottom.

My old catalogue came with a 4x5 Series B I bought.
EdWorkman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Compact Postcard Graflex Reply with quote

Graflex made a roll film holder, one of many sizes, for this.
film width equaled the long dimension- 5 1/2 (?) inches
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Review of Graflex by Richard P. Paine shows that the 3 1/4 x 5 1/2 Compact Graflex was made from 1915 to 1924 and the 5x7 Compact Graflex from 1915 to 1925. The 3 1/4 x 5 1/2 with the B&L Zeiss Tessar Ser 1c f4.5 sold for $120 new. It has a fixed Graflex back. Ground glass for the film plane was an accessory for Graflex SLR cameras. The serial number will be on the lip of the view hood opening (early Graflex) or stamped on the view hood lid behind the view hood close to the clamp that holds the view hood to the lid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: