Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grafmatic Film holders and pricing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jan normandale

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Grafmatic Film holders and pricing Reply with quote

Hi, I decided a while back to acquire a Grafmatic film holder. At the time I started looking about 6 weeks back, they were going for $50 - $60 US on Ebay. I figured I'd hold off until I got some film and added a lens to my Crown.

Lately I'm seeing the holders now going for in excess of $100 apiece. Is this a trend or a feeding frenzy? I'd like to get one but I'm not sure what a fair price is. I may have seen these holders at a low price point and missed an opportunity to buy because the $100+ price is the real price.

Any thoughts on pricing and alternative sources for these holders? I'm looking for two and would consider other sources for them if I knew where else to go.

thanks for any advice, leads or help
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this very moment www.keh.com has a 4x5 Grafmatic in BGN condition for $69 plus delivery.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$40 to $90 is the adverage price range. Make sure all 6 spetums are present and unbent. Condidion and demand are the main factors on price. There are some dealers on ebay that want a premium for their merchandice.
C. Henry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan;

Prices on eBay can run all over the ball park. For example I just purchased a three cell flash gun for under $30.00 (thirty dollars) shipping included. There was also one that sold for over $300.00 (three hundred dollars) recently and the only difference that I'm aware of is that the one I bought did not come with the mounting clamps.
Decide how much you are willing to pay and be patient, you will get it sooner or later.

C. Henry
jan normandale

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan: I regularly check KEH.. but must have missed it. I'll check them again.

45PSS: It sounds like the price is around $70 plus or minus ten percent. I'll keep waiting for one at the right price.

C Henry: I think I'll be patient. I'm prepared to pay about $70 so I'll check the one Dan mentioned and keep plugging away for another elsewhere at that price or at Ebay.

If anyone knows of other dealers or sources I'd appreciate their URL

thanks everyone
jan normandale

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Fromm wrote:
At this very moment www.keh.com has a 4x5 Grafmatic in BGN condition for $69 plus delivery.

Hi Dan, I went to KEH however there was no sign of a grafmatic .. did I have the wrong page? Here's the one I went to "Large Format Backs and Magazines" ...

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductList.aspx?Mode=&item=0&ActivateTOC2=&BC=LF&BCC=7&ID=58&CC=11&CCC=27&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still there. Go to www.keh.com, click on store, large format, back and magazine accessories, "view all" and slide down the page.

This link http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductList.aspx?Mode=&item=0&ActivateTOC2=&BC=LF&BCC=7&ID=58&CC=12&CCC=27&BCL=&GBC=&GCC= may do it too.
jan normandale

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Fromm wrote:
Still there. Go to www.keh.com, click on store, large format, back and magazine accessories, "view all" and slide down the page.

This link http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductList.aspx?Mode=&item=0&ActivateTOC2=&BC=LF&BCC=7&ID=58&CC=12&CCC=27&BCL=&GBC=&GCC= may do it too.

I found it, thanks Dan.
disemjg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan, when you get the Grafmatic check to be sure the light traps are in place. They frequently come unglued and sometimes fall out and get lost. A missing light trap is grounds to reject the magazine.

To check, open the drawer and remove the septums. Pull the dark slide so the open magazine lays in front of you with the body on the left, the drawer in the middle and the dark slide to the right. Reach inside the body opening from the drawer side with a finger and you should feel a felt strip across the underside of the body facing you. The second light trap is on the bottom of the magazine, and is partially visible inside the main body; there is a gap in the middle of the drawer floor where you can see the felt strip. Neither light trap should be loose. If they are present but loose, it is a rather easy thing to fix if you are mechanically inclined. I think there is a Grafmatic repair manual somewhere on this site.

As 45PSS pointed out, watch out for bent septums. They are quite soft and are easily damaged. If not too badly bent, they are easy to straighten out. Be very gentle and ease out any bends, but be certain to avoid kinking the rolled edge that holds the film. I am able to straighten most of them by drawing my thumb across the bent section with mild pressure. There is a short unsupported section of the septum next to the cutout that is frequently somewhat bent, and calls for extra care to avoid kinks.

Grafmatic magazines are wonderful, clever devices. Like the potato chips, most of us cannot get by with only one, and we wind up with several (or more than several if the opportunity presents itself).
jan normandale

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disemjg.. thanks for that tip. I'll check what I get when it comes in. I'm not a 'handy person' but that sounds easy enough.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Grafmatic user instruction manual is on this site under the Technical Information heading on the home page.
The Grafmatic service manuals are at http://www.southbristolviews.com/ under the Graflex Manuals link. Light seals are called cutoff assembly in the service manual. Don't you just love Graflex Speak?
jan normandale

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so I looked at a pair of grafmatic's ******* on the bay .. the pair went for over $360 with 21 bids! What did I miss on these .. LoL, I didn't even get a bid in!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=180198977107&_trksid=p3984.cWAT.m240.lVI
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect shill bidding. Notice that 1 bidder put in 15 bids? Very suspicious.

Last edited by 45PSS on Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total
rmbroome

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Film holders Reply with quote

I can not belive that they went for that price! I got lucky when I bid on a 4x5 Speed for 250 got the camera and one of those and a flash the case and other goodies. Just keep an eye out and wate for a good deal.
jan normandale

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly I'm astounded.. you can buy and entire camera for less than that price. I have film holders, I'll wait until this flood of money passes thru the system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: