Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

127 Ektar shutter mysteries

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeitgeist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: 127 Ektar shutter mysteries Reply with quote

Just bought an Anniversary Speed Graphic with a 127 Ektar lens. I've probably screwed it up in trying to figure out how it works but maybe there's an easy fix (I hope).

The shutter worked OK (or so it seemed) at first. Then, it appeared to hit the correct shutter speed for the first release but defaulted to a fast speed in further releases. Now, it only releases in the fast speed.

What did I do? Is there a simple cure?

Also, could someone explain the various settings:
- red and black shutter speeds with corresponding red and black triangles; seemed that only the red speeds worked and the lens resisted when I moved toward the black numbers;
- the red "F" and "M" letters at the flash synch
-the "O" "T" "A" "B" "C" and "D" letters corresponding to the rear shutter

I didn't see these covered in the camera basics on graflex.org

Many thanks
Dennis
Les

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Red and black Triangles are the indicator points for the slow and fast speeds. The color coded letter for shutter synchronization correspond to the red and black shutter speeds.

Just under the dial, theres a finger that rides in a stepped slot. This is what varies the speed, I suspect it's come out. Unscrew the lens cell remove the locking screw with a jeweler's screwdriver rotated the shutter face about 15° until the tabs align, then remove the face, once there you should see what's not right.

The letters O, T, A, B, C, D refer to the slit opening in the rear shutter, T is for time, O is for open. When these were new you could set the shutter to T open the shutter once to O, trip again to close. After 60-70 years the springs aren't what they used to be.

Lower down on the side you;ll find an indicator that reads from 1 to 6. Give an shutter tension (1-6) and a slit setting (A-D) you'll get a shutter speed. The table either on the bed, on the side or on the top will tell you what the speeds are.
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shutter is called a Flash Supermatic and it may be just gummy lubericant that is causing the fast speed at all settings. Remove the front and rear lens cells, flush the shutter with electronic contact cleaner or alcohol then operate at several speeds while wet then allow to dry completely before reinstalling the lens cells. Some people use lighter fluid for this but lighter fluid can disolve rubber and plastic components used in some shutters. When the shutter is set to 1 second and the blades open and close in sync with the second hand movement of a clock then you will know the speeds to be good. Hold shutter so that you can operate it and see the second hand on the clock at the same time, cock the shutter, trip the shutter as the second hand crosses (sweep type) or reaches (step type) a second mark, verify that shutter blaeds fully open then fully close just as the second hand reaches or crosses the next second mark. The 1/2 second setting can be checked in the same manner except that the open close should take place when the second hand has moved 1/2 the distance between second markings. All other speeds should be progressively faster going up in speed on the dial.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: