Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CP Goerz Dagor - Berlin - shutter size?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
goamules

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: CP Goerz Dagor - Berlin - shutter size? Reply with quote

Hi,
I discovered this in a box of lenses I bought. One thing was a strange aluminum fixture. Thought it was junk. It looked like a movie camera lens fixture or maybe something to take pictures of scientific stuff. The fixture had a 4 screw, square flange and some alloy pieces that rotated. Heck, for all I know it's off a U-boat periscope.

Anyway, I started unthreading and finally found there really was a lens in there, under quite a bit of oil. I wiped the rim with a q-tip, and saw:

C.P. Goerz Berlin - Dagor 1:6,8 12cm

It has a nice working aperature, but really isn't in a barrel mount, too much exposed machining after I pulled it from the mechanism.

I'm learning on this and the LF board that it has bigger coverage than you'd think for such a tiny lens. It's about 1 1/8 inch diameter. Any idea what shutter would fit it? I could leave it in the "barrel" but the aperature lever has no markings, and there are other slots and holes showing. Guess cosmetics don't matter, this is a good lens right?

thanks,
Garrett
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garrett, opinions on Dagors are all over the map. See, for example, this http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=13109&highlight=lousy+dagor thread. It gets pretty tedious not far in, but is worth reading to the end.

My friend Eric Beltrando (his site is www.dioptrique.info) has analysed a number of Goerz Dagor designs, also some Boyer Beryls, which are the same type. He believes very strongly that even though Boyer's sales literature claimed that the garden variety f/6.8 Beryl covers 85 degrees an exacting photographer would ask one to cover no more than 70 degrees. In a really exacting application, e.g., copy work, no more than 50 degrees.

I think you've made a wonderful find, unfortunately have no idea how you can make your treasure usable. Back when it was made shutters weren't particularly standardized. I suspect that a skilled mechanic, e.g., www.skgrimes.com, could put the cells properly in a modern shutter for you. But I have no idea whether having the job done would make economic sense.

Cheers,

Dan
goamules

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Dan. It is a neat surprise find. I've gone ahead and carefully cleaned the glass, and the aperature mechanism. There's even a "retainer ring" if you can call it that. I'm thinking now I'll try to "press mount" it in a board for the Speed. Why not? I'm actually shooting 3.25 x 4.25 wetplate in that camera, it should cover that.

If later I need to trade it to get something else, it will still be worth more than the $15 I have in it! But if I make a rash sale now and later want one, I'll not feel good about paying what I suspect I'd have to. Towards $100 or more probably.

Garrett
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't hazard a guess at how much it will bring. There's a minor Dagor cult.
pv17vv

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen, here is what Goerz Berlin said about Dagors one century ago :
120mm; plate size covered sharp : at full aperture 9x12 or 70°, at smallest aperture 13x18 or 90°; price 105 Reischmark in normal mount and 120 RM in special mount.
Comes from a book called " Das Objektiv Im Dienste Der Photographie " von Dr. E. Holm, 1906, illustrated catalog of Goerz photographic products and tutorial.
Somewhere in this book, it's also stated that closed down a Dagor from this era illuminates twice it's focal length.

Dan, what is " garden variety " of Béryl ???
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurent,

Garden-variety Beryl = f/6.8 Beryl and f/6.8 Emeraude. The only difference between a Beryl, claimed coverage 85 degrees, and the equivalent Emeraude, claimed coverage 70 degrees, is the engraving on the front and the barrel. Emeraudes came in barrels with a slot for a Waterhouse stop.

In the '30s, Suzanne Levy-Bloch designed several different narrow angle f/10 Beryls. AFAIK few were sold and the line was discontinued after 1939.

Vous devez visiter www.dioptrique.info

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: