Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Peerless 63mm??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Canuck

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Peerless 63mm?? Reply with quote

I've run across a 63mm lens marked Peerless that used to be installed on a Century Graphic and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this lens. I imagine the Peerless name is the house brand of the former New York camera store, but there is no indication of the manufacturer. It's mounted in a self-cocking shutter. Any info would be appreciated. I'm considering it as a wide-angle lens for my 2x3 Crown, but the dealer knows as little as I do.
R_J

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I imagine the Peerless name is the house brand of the former New York camera store, but there is no indication of the manufacturer.

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/booklet/peerless_store/peerless_store.htm

The rebranding exercise was very popular in the mid-20th century. Are you sure the lens even covers 2x3" format? If it covered the Century Graphic, then there's no reason why it shouldn't cover the Crown Graphic. Such wide focal lengths aren't that common although it's unlikely to be as razor sharp as the Schneider Super Angulon 65mm f5.6 lens of the similar focal length.

If your local dealer knows nothing about it, then perhaps he would not object to hiring it to you for a week before you decide.

Good luck.
Henry

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know how the 63 will behave on your Crown, but FWIW here's what I found with my 65 Optar on the Century: covers the full frame 6x7 straight on, but not much leeway with movements before vignetting at the corners. And anyhow, at infinity focus with the 65 the front standard is so far back in the camera that the frame finder bumps into the body if you attempt much front rise. (Of course, it's possible to remove the frame finder, which I have done, but then before long you run into the coverage limitation.) Also, it's devilishly tricky to focus the beast (true of any wide-angle). Nevertheless, under certain conditions it's useful, within its limitations. IMO a wide-angle like this should be part of a complete kit.

Best way to find out, as RJ suggests, is to try it out with a roll of film.
Billy Canuck

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, RJ and Henry -- I'll give the lens a try.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: