Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GRAFLEX OPTAR

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SYNCHROJAMES

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: GRAFLEX OPTAR Reply with quote

I know from info posted that exact dating of Graflex lenses is all but impossible; however, my lense does not have the typical M/F/X/off switch. Just next to the bi-pin connection it is marked with an X in brackets- (X). When did Graflex drop the selector switch? That would at least give me the oldest date. SN is 613974 if that's any use. Dank u Vell
Henry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more a matter of the shutter than the lens. What name is on the shutter? Is it marked "Graphex," "Century," or what? If it's a Century, that was Graflex's bottom of the line job furnished with the Century 2x3, and it doesn't have a synch switch, instead the shutter speeds are color-coded for M-synch (red, 1/10, 1/25, B, T)), F-synch (green, 1/50, 1/100), and X-synch (black, 1/200). Not sure this is necessarily an age-related thing; my Century dates from 1954, and is as described above. OTOH I have Optar lenses in Graphex shutters from the around the same period, and they all have the synch lever.
SYNCHROJAMES

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: GRAFLEX OPTAR Reply with quote

Ooops! Left out that detail, didn't I? It is in fact a Graphex shutter.
Les

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to find an introduction date for the X only shutter. The earliest shutters had no sync, then came the full sync, then the X only. But I'm certain there were years where at least two if not all three were available.

I would think that the X shutter would have been developed by the early 50s with the meteoric rise in electronic flash in the 1940s. The X shutter is just a full sync shutter with the gear train removed (the part that creates the delay) So it wasn't rocket science.

Les
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: