Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflex, Crown, Folmer et cetra TRIPOD usefulness

View previous topic :: View next topic  
goamules

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Graflex, Crown, Folmer et cetra TRIPOD usefulness Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm looking at getting a tripod for my first speed, coming soon courtesy _bay. I want a wooden tripod, something that would look good with a wetplat camera that I'll eventually get.

Are the Crown #2 big enough to support a 4x5 speed? Should I get the biggest (#4) to be safe? I'm not worried about carrying it far, I have a mule for wilderness....

Any other "old" brand wooden to look at?
Les

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number #2 was part of the military kit for the Speed so you could say if it was good enough for Uncle Sam.....

I on the other hand find it a bit short. The #3 and the #4 go to the same height and are about 6" taller. The #3 is slightly less beefy, but has a smaller top which is nice. All of these will handle a Speed.

Stay away from the Folmer & Schwing Crown tripod that has "engineering corp" or something similar stamped on it. These were designed to hold drawing tables for someone sitting.

Another tripod I like but is hard to find is either the R.O.C. tripod (Rochester Optical Corp) or the tripod for the original Cine Kodak. This tripod is in three sections not 4 so it might not work for backpacking. but I like the design of the first joint better than the Crown. The Cine Kodak tripod is the same as the ROC, just the last incarnation and has a metal tilting top.
goamules

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Les, I'll take that advise. Thanks. I've received my speed graphic, the 545 back, and even some film! Need a tripod but I kludged one for at least a test shot. It works!
pv17vv

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les, what is the length of a leg of a #2 Crown tripod ?
goamules

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got a number 3 Crown tripod. On that auction site, item number 250151706816.

I paid too much, but got tired of looking at ones that were missing parts or had mismatched legs. I even saw one that had two #3 legs and one #2. Must be for steep mountain use.

This one has a neat tilting flatbed top (original or not, I don't know). Do you Les? But the big advantage is the guy lives in my town, so I don't pay shipping!

thanks for a great board.

g
willysmb

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice tripod, in fact congratultion for your bid.

About Military Vs, For the Speed Graphic, in the PH-104 Set Equipment, the tripod is a Crown #1, (PH-121) the #2 cannot be found a place in the PH-81 case.

I don't know the type for the US Air force tripod in the Autograflex (4X5) equipment and for the 2-D (8X10) equiment.

Laurent
Les

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be made by Graflex. Whether or not it was made at the same time isn't apparent. If both are labeled the same, ie Folmer Graflex Corp, or Graflex inc. Then it will be close enough to be called a matched set.

In either case you have a very nice tripod that won't even know your Speed Graphic is on it.

Never get in a hurry setting up your tripod. If you take your time, it can hold a lot, get in a hurry and you'll snap a strut faster than you can say cheese.

Les
goamules

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks, I'm happy with it, and hope to pick it up early this week, I've been in touch with the seller. Thanks for the good advice, I'll be gentle with it.

One reason I wanted one is I want to get into wetplate, starting with the Speed Graphic. At some point I'll buy a wood camera and wanted a wood tripod to match. I already have a modified film holder and half my chemicals. Of course, I' shot some polaroids too, and this tripod will make that easier.

But I love the Speed Graphic I got a month ago! Here is a writeup I did with pictures from a couple weeks ago:
http://goainaz.blogspot.com/2007/07/old-high-tech-camera.html

my best,
G
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much elbow grease, chrome polish, and leather dye did it take to get the camera looking like that?
goamules

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should see the before pictures. Wait....it looked exactly the same before. So I spent .0001 hours on it!

It's just a really nice camera that I haven't touched. After the photos, I did get the green verdigris off from around the rear shutter plates. You can see it in the "before" pics.

I was very happy with the camera, the guy selling in on the auction site had really blurry photos. I took a chance, got blessed.
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice camera.
goamules

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It turns out to be a number 4 not a 3. It has beautiful reddish woood, and lots of brass. It gets plenty tall, over my wifes head when we set it up last night. The whole thing has that quality look of times gone by.

I didn't weigh it, but it does not seem to be a heavy piece of equipment. I would say it's sturdy enough for a big view camera, and doesn't appear overkill for a speed. If this is the biggest Crown tripod, I'd hate to see the number 1, it must be for tabletop use or dollhouses.

This one has a flat, rectangular table, that screws onto the usual round top. It has hinges and folds upward 90%, lockable with two brass sliding brackets. It also reads Folmer Graphics, Crown #4. Not bad.

I would not have any trouble carrying this and it packs small. I recommend these tripods if you can find one.
Les

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number 1 puts the camera at chest height, I think officially its just above 4 feet tall. Certainly sturdy, but just the right height to make photography a pain in the back, and neck and.....

The number 4 was a common tripod for the #8 and #10 Circut, and the Kodak 8x10 2D.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: