Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super Graphic stuck( closed)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
misterjelly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Super is "locked up" in the closed position. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

jpmose

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry,

I am going to tell you the obvious, but just in case you are a first time user of a Super Graphic and don't have the owners manual...the bed is released by turning either of the focusing knobs upward (counter clockwise) which are located on the front of the camera, about an inch below the top, and a knob on the left and right sides.

If you know this already, please excuse me.
misterjelly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but I knew that already. I'm stumped.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a lens/board on front standard? Does it have a cable release on it?
Yes- remove back and work around bellows carefully to dislodge out of place object causing problem.
No- remove Graflok and ground glass and investigate problem.

A cable release, screw, or knob may be blocking focusing rails from moving completely; bent, broken, deformed bed support arm, rangefinder arm jamming ar acting like a latch.

General tech info that seems approiate after viewing photos of this camers elsewhere on this site.

DO NOT PRY ON ANYTHING until problem part clearly identified!

Charles

extraparts

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking at mine and I am stumped too. However, some thoughts.

I have a friend that had a graflex service center and has some left over parts stock. He had a whole bag full of front standard release levers. I have been wondering why. This may be the answer.

Looking at my camera it seems that it may be possiable to close the camera with the front standard release lever faceing foward. If so it might get jamed between the rail stop and the rail. It is almost the perfect size to cause your problem.

If there is a lens board in place, I can't see anyway to take the camera apart to solve the problem without breaking something.

The front is not hinged to the camera body, it is hinged to a plate that is bolted to the bottom of the camera body from the inside. (of course) You can look through the keyholes in the bottom and see the two seperate pieces.

If this is the problem there are only two ways I can see to get it open. One would be to remove the bottom leather, and drill out the screws holding the door assembly to the camera body.(I don't know for sure that this would work but it should)
Unfortunately, they come in from the top, so when you remove the leather you will probably see the ends. Drilling a steel screw out of aluminum is very tricky. I expect you will have to take it to a machinist who can fixture it so the bit doesn't walk. I would expect the threads to be distroyed and you could retap the holes and go back with larger screws.

You would also have to completely remove the rear lower (camera's left) hand strap bracket screw. It does double duty and holds the tube that links the rail to the rangefinder. Even with that screw out, there is still a screw holding the tube to the bottom piece that is attached to the door. It is doubtful that you will be able to pull the bottom of the door far enough out to get the top to release without damageing the tube. So you may want to source a replacement tube first.

Beyond all that, you might pull the side leather up, and drill a small access hole 1/4" in the side of the camera (bottom front)oposite the flash connectors, to push the obstruction out of the way, if in fact that is the problem.

Does the door move at all? Or does it feel just like it does when it is latched? Did you close it last? Did it feel funny?

Neal

45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niel, are you sure that removeing the entire plate that the reloving back is mounted to would not allow accessto the front? Granted it would be limited and one might have to fabricate a special tool to unjam the mechnichism but should allow adaquate inspection espically with a mirror.
Charles

extraparts

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of that, and it didn't look like it would work. I have contacted my friend that had the service center, and his only suggestion was to lay the camera on its back and push on the door.

He has a complete camera in pieces, and I will try to look at it Saturday to see if there is some better way.

If you could get the back off, you could probably bring the front standard and bellows out the back and fix it.

Neal

Will the knobs move at all? If so, my theory is wrong.
extraparts

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took another look at mine. The flash socket seems to be riveted in. It might be possiable to pull up the leather and drill the rivets out. then push the socket in and back. I will know more Saturday after I look at one that has been taken apart.

Neal
extraparts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be a very tight fit pushing the flash socket past the knob on the front standard, but not much lost if you can't get it past.

However, the other obvious question is: Have you contacted S.K. Grimes. He may have fixed this problem before. I almost closed mine on the latch just a few minutes ago.

Neal
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do you think misterjelly is reading this or has given up, locked it upside down in a vise, and cut the bottom off with a hack saw?
Charles

extraparts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, but I have got to know how this ends.

Neal
misterjelly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I haven't given up. I'm waiting for a calm day and I want to see all the suggestions before proceeding into surgery. I do appreciate all the comments, and I will report back. Thanks.

extraparts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent the morning abusing Super Speed Graphic bodies at my friend's that owned the service center. We tried everything to lock one shut, including closing it on the front standard lock lever, it still opened just fine.

As close as we could come was to use the focus lock lever to lock the rail, and then close the camera. It could then be very difficult to open.

His origional advice to put the camera on its back, and push down hard on the knobs while turning them upward seems to be best.

Neal
misterjelly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can report a successful "opening" of my Super Graphic. While looking through the back opening with the revolving back half way rotated, I noticed the front standard was slightly tilted to the rear. I reached in & loosened the locking screws, realigned the standard, & the bed opened normally. I guess the lesson here is to make sure the standard is properly set & locked in the neutral position before closing the camera. My thanks to all of you for your help. Jerry Laderberg
Les

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gongratulations! and for performing magnanonisamantly under desprite conditions I award you the honorary degree of Doctor of Cameraology

The Great Oz

Sorry, just got cable and realized that I'm watching way too much Turner Classic Movies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: