Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RH-10 Help Please!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottspeck

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might sound like a really dumb question, but, with the RH-10 film holder, how far should I pull the metal "slider septum" out of the film holder to expose? Should I pull it all the way out, or will that allow light into the compartment? No RH-10 instruction manuals that I've found address this! Thanks for any help,
Scott Speck
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "slider septum," a/k/a "dark slide," is pulled out of the holder completely, just before operating the shutter to expose the film, then it is replaced into its slot in the holder before advancing the film to the next frame. Have you figured out how to load a roll of 120 into the holder yet? That's the usual challenge if you're unfamiliar with this gadget.
scottspeck

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help! I loaded the film in okay, I think, based on just looking at the mechanics of the device. I think I wasted one frame, however, since I first forgot to reset the counter before I started winding. I ended up winding "one extra wind" before the counter got to the position it SHOULD have been at before I started winding. Let me ask you this -- I threaded the film around and fastened it to the "takeup spool," such that the big "double arrow" on the film backing was pretty much positioned over the metal roller closest to the film itself. Thus, I tried to minimize how much I spooled onto the takeup spool before I started winding. Was this right? Also, what setting should the winder be at before I start threading the film, just to make sure I have that right. Believe it or not, though we have a 4x5 Crown Graphic, I'm actually using this film back (at the moment) on a Zero Image teak-wood 4x5 PINHOLE camera! I just got the film back via UPS (bought it on Ebay) yesterday. Thanks again, Scott. If curious, our few 4x5 shots thus far are at http://www.scottspeck.com/pictures/4x5/index.html, and pinhole shots (medium format thus far) are at http://www.scottspeck.com/pictures/pinhole/index.html.

scottspeck

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I meant, "What setting should the COUNTER" be at before I load and start winding...
Scott
troublemaker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally, when a roll is finished, after the 10th frame, (the last frame on any Graflex roll holder), the the counter willthen free wheel so one can finish winding the paper over theexposed film and thus open and unload the holder. Leave the holder as is and re-load your new unexpesed roll, start the take up, and make sure the paper is centerered well, and does not slip. I find it easiest to turn the take up spool itself until the paper overlaps keeping tension by placing my hand on the fresh roll,and this also provides some extra shade if out in field. Then crank the winder until the start arrow on the paper lines up with the arrow located on the top inside the holder. I like to pass it 1/8 to 1/4". Personal prefernece. Close the holder and then click the counter, which engages it, and crank to the first frame. After a while it becomes automatic.
Also, IMHO, it is good practice to keep any and all holders, esspecially old ones,in the dark at all times, or at least shaded, and never left out on the camera in direct sunlight, and always with the dark slide in place unless exposing.
Sorry if that's TMI; not meant to sound like no one knows how to load or handle thier gear.
Have a nice soltice season...
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To help clarify what trouble maker said, go to http://www.southbristolviews.com/ and copy the pdf Roll Film Back instructions in the Graflex manuals section.

troublemaker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Charles,
I didn't have time to find and post the link on my way out the door earlier.
So yes, do read the manual, always a good idea. And have a nice new years...
Stephen

[ This Message was edited by: troublemaker on 2006-12-24 22:16 ]
BrianShaw

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Refering back to Henry's post... when one needs to put the darkslide back in depends a lot on what shutter one is using.

With a leaf shutter, the film can be wound without replacing the darkslide. Same is true when using the focal plane shutter.

The important thing to remember is that the darkslide must be replaced before winding (setting to one of the lettered openings) the focal plane shutter since that will expose the film to light.

And, needless to say, don't forget to replace the darkslide before removing the RH-10 from the camera if there is film in it!
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that the torsion created by advancing the winding lever can cause just enough wiggle between my roll holders and the camera back, that I want to take that extra precaution of protecting the film by replacing the dark slide *before* winding on. This is especially true when shooting in bright sun, and I also try to remember to shield the roll holder with the dark cloth when winding on.

[ This Message was edited by: Henry on 2007-02-02 13:17 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: