Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Filter Holder.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JBish130

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got some Wratten filters (75mm and/or 3 inch square). I've bought (haven't received yet) a Kenko 76mm filter holder.

This seems like it will work as far as holding the filters. I will have to devise some manner of connecting it in front of the lens, as well as figuring how to work a hood into the equasion.

The reason I'm headed in this direction, is because I've an assortment of older lenses and I don't really want to buy a bunch of adapters (not that all would be available or ??).

I'm hoping to utilize the hood mount screw at the top of the front standard on a GVI.

Has anyone already dealt with this issue with good results, and if so, how did you do it.

I'm hoping to avoid re-designing the wheel, or making mistakes if possible.

Any help?

"It's light and nothing more."
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the not-quite-a-compendium swingup hood that was held in place by that screw? If so, you might attach some kind of carrier -- perhaps made of black mounting-board -- to the rear frame of the hood.

I seem to recall Calumet offering a gelatin filter adapter along those lines for their compendium hoods, four decades back. It always seemed like a good idea to me.

Absent the hood, I don't think it would be much of a problem to rig up some kind of short rail, anchored by the hood screw, with a filter adapter traveling along it. This could be as crude or as finished as you wished.

Or you might consider getting one of those adapter rings fitted with three radial screws, which can be used with any lens up to the actual diameter of the ring. Tiffen used to make these, up to quite large sizes.

You'll recall that the holders for DuPont "Varigam" and Kodak "Polycontrast" variable-contrast filters worked this way -- in fact, you could try one of those, if it would fit onto your largest-diameter lens.
disemjg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodak made a gadget called an adjustable filter holder for 3x3 filters; it has a spring loaded clamping action that will hold the device on the front of lenses ranging from about 1 1/2" to about 2 1/4 " in diameter. Old as dirt (pat. Aug 1915) but works like a charm. Check your local photo junk bin and you might luck out and find one.

While there is no provision for a hood, you could probably cobble up something basic using lightweight material like cardboard and hang it on the front.

[ This Message was edited by: disemjg on 2006-12-23 11:42 ]
JBish130

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm watching for a universal filter holder. However, if I come up with something that works, and possibly of interest to others, I will post it.

Thanks!

"It's light and nothing more."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: