Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speedgun flash and solenoid?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
egdinger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone here ever seen a Speed gun flash setup before? It's on my Pre-anny speed. I don't know really anything on how to adjust it. It uses a solenoid to sync with the shutter (a dial set compur). It isn't like the graflex solenoid. I can post pictures if it would help.
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should set up like the newer solenoids and flash guns.
Adjustment Procedure:
http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?topic=1453&forum=7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a Kalart Speed gun flash? That's a very
different kettle of fish from either a Kalart Master of a normal solinoid set-up.
egdinger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says it was made by speedgun corp of america. Did Kalart buy them out at some point? Anyways the adjustment procdure outlined won't work, this has no link to to the shutter. It's just a paddle that hits the shutter release. I'll get pics up soon.
egdinger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the photos, The first one is of the flash handle and solenoid together, the second is just the solenoid, and the 3rd is the solenoid mounted on the camera.

http://nixon.mac-geek.com/eric/OtherNONFBLA/speedgun1.jpg
http://nixon.mac-geek.com/eric/OtherNONFBLA/speedgun2.jpg
http://nixon.mac-geek.com/eric/OtherNONFBLA/speedgun3.jpg
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works the same as the graflex only different. See the markings on the top of the solenoid, Slow <-->Fast? Loosen the nut at the base of the shaft and turn the screw top as needed, secure setting by tighting the nut. Same function as the cap on the graflex. Can the position of the solenoid be varied on the lens board?

egdinger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the solenoid bracket can move up and down verticaly. I followed the directions in the link you gave, but how the heck do I know what to set the fast/slow to? Just burn some flashbulbs and film?
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you think you have it correct install a flash bulb, point the camera with focus panel open at a white wall and fire while watching the rear of the lens thru the focus panel. If you see shutter blades in the lens opening the timing is off. Use 1/25 -1/50 sec shutter speed and maximun aperture for the test. If the timing is off adjust the screw one way and try again. If this time you are nearer go the same direction a little more if there is more of the shutter blades showing then go the other direction.
While the Graflex procedure is not exact to your shutter/solenoid combo it should be good enough to get you synced without using too many bulbs and no film. A slight anount of timing error will result in a lower guide number.

bruiser

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad someone else has one of these solenoids. I got one with a Speed Graphic with no lens or board and had no idea how it was fitted. Thanks fellas!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: