Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's Wrong with this Neg?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedj

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I just got back my first color shots using my Anny Speed. Unfortunately, the negatives turned out an odd color. Does anyone have an idea why my negative is so red? Is this a processing error (I took it to a professional lab)? Wrong chemicals maybe?

Also, I took 4 seperate shots using two film holders...So, I don't think it's the film holder.

I've posted the scanned negative and an inverted color corrected version of it.

http://www.jasonjue.com/temp/fuji160s_neg.jpg
http://www.jasonjue.com/temp/fuji160s.jpg

Looking at the histogram in photoshop, it shows that the green and blue channel are severly small (compressed).

Thanks!

Jason

[ This Message was edited by: speedj on 2006-10-09 21:04 ]
Rangemaster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of film, how old was it and how has it been stored, also what type of light was it exposed under, how long was the exposure, did you compensate for reciprocity failure if it was a long exposure, there are many things that can cause this to happen, a few more details about the image and how it was made would go a long ways to helping to diagnose the problem.

Dave

speedj

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The film I used was Fujifilm Pro160 S daylight. I just bought the film and it expires 4/2007. At the camera store it was refrigerated, but since I bought it it has been stored basically at room temperature. Nothing too extremely cold or hot.

The exposure was 1/500 sec (FP shutter), f4, in morning sunlight (9am). I shot it with my Aero Ektar 2.5 lens.

I've also shot a few bw pictures and they seem fine (in terms of contrast) with the same lens.

I guess I'm mainly wondering if this was a problem of the lab or something with my camera.

Thanks!

Jason
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2006-10-09 23:39, speedj wrote:
Hi,

The film I used was Fujifilm Pro160 S daylight. I just bought the film and it expires 4/2007. At the camera store it was refrigerated, but since I bought it it has been stored basically at room temperature. Nothing too extremely cold or hot.

The exposure was 1/500 sec (FP shutter), f4, in morning sunlight (9am). I shot it with my Aero Ektar 2.5 lens.

I've also shot a few bw pictures and they seem fine (in terms of contrast) with the same lens.

I guess I'm mainly wondering if this was a problem of the lab or something with my camera.

Thanks!

Jason

C-41 films -- that's what you have -- have a integral orange mask. Is that what you're seeing?

Don't know why you're having problems with it and PS, can't hazard a guess since I don't use PS.
Rangemaster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Dan, now knowing it is C41, I am not surprised to see the orange neg, as far as Photoshop, I have not had much luck reversing a neg and trying to make it into a good representation of a color image, color shift is always a problem, do you have a scanner that can actually handle a color neg? or just a normal flatbed scanner, if it is a tranparancy scanner, set your software to scan a color neg and see how it turns out...if all else fails, ask the shop you had it developed at, if they can print on an RA4 paper and then examine the results.

Dave

C. Henry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I use Arc Soft Photo Studio instead of Photo Shop, I can make the same comment as Rangemaster about making a reverse of a scanned in C-41 negative. If you print it as Rangemaster suggests then scan the print it should give you a good digital file to work with.

C. Henry
speedj

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your input.

Well, I've done a lot of scans of color negatives and tweaking the colors in photoshop to make them like they should be (invert, then do a levels color correction).

The ones I got back are all off in color. After my normal procedure of scanning and color correction, they are very magenta toned. I'm beginning to think they all got fogged somehow? I'm going to shoot another couple and develop them at another lab to make sure it wasn't the lab.

I will let you know what I discover.

jason
Rangemaster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magenta would not be a fogging problem, with kodak films, magenta is caused by a couple of things normally, either stored in a warm situation or sometimes an underexposure, but if they are color shifting magenta, I would suspect that somewhere along the lines they have been stored improperly and been subjected to heat..

By the way you still did not mention if you are scanning on a regular flatbed or are you using a flatbed with a light lid on it? I am just curious on this aspect of it, LF can and does introduce some variables that are not normally encountered in MF or 35mm films..

Let us know what you find out.

Dave

[ This Message was edited by: Rangemaster on 2006-10-10 21:47 ]
speedj

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm using a flatbed scanner with a transparency adapter (light lid). I'm pretty certain it's not the scanner or my technique because I also scanned in some 35mm Portra 160 from the same lab and they came out okay.

In terms of storage of the film...
Well, I just bought the film. But after I bought the film (which was stored in the frigerator), I put it in my trunk. I don't believe it got very hot in my trunk (80-90F). After that, I stored it in my house which is around 70F.

Two nights before I used the film, I loaded them into their 4x5 film holders. Now, this is the first time I am using these holders I got off ebay, and the first time loading them. I loaded them using a change bag at night with my lights turned off.

The next day, I drove up to the mountains with them and stored the film in my backpack and in our RV. The interesting thing is that my storage of the negatives isn't much different than how I've stored 35mm rolls.

How warm is too warm to store film? And actually, the film I used was FujiFilm Pro 160S.

Thanks in advance for helping out.

Regards.

Jason
Rangemaster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I read Fuji and wrote kodak DOH! anyway, I would be interested in seeing your next shots, film at 90 degrees can exhibit damage, but I would not expect a drastic color shift in this short amount of time, but it is still possible...normally all of my film is stored in freezer set at 0 degrees, I am starting to wonder if perhaps you just got a bad box of film...I took a copy of your neg scan dropped into Pshop last night and inverted it and the predominate color on my system was cyan..

anyway, will be interested in seeing what happens with the next set of negs you post.

Dave

speedj

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took another shot yesterday and will get the processed neg today. I will post the results.

thanks!

jason
speedj

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved!

I got back another two shots from a different lab and got the same results as before. The guy at the lab looked at the negs and asked, "Did you load the negative backwards?". Uh maybe...

Well, ladies and gentes, I did in fact load all my film backwards. I've been told to load the film with the notches in the upper right or lower left; which is correct. I did that. However, when I loaded the film, the film holder was held horizonatally rather than vertically. So, in fact, I was loading the notches to the lower right corner of the film holder instead of the upper right.

Well, live and learn.

Thanks for all your help everyone. I'll post some images when I eventually get things right. =)

Jason
Rangemaster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap Jason,

I did not even think of that!!!! geeze and I have only been doing this almost 30 years...as you said, live and learn...

Glad someone was able to shed some light, now lets see your new stuff!

Dave

alecj

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, Jason. Just put those negs in the "ruined" pile you'll most certainly accumulate while participating in this adventure. We all have them, and stories [excuses] as to WHY we have them. It's just a price of the passage. Glad you figured it out.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! I was reading te answers and thinking to myself "he loaded it backward". I was just getting ready to post that when I saw that you found it out already. Don't feel bad. We've all done it at least once.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: