Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lenses & Filters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
genedonna

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a Graflex Pacemaker Speed Graphic with a 101 Tessar lens. (1)Is this a good quality lens? (2) Is this a good lens for Landscape, scenic type shots? (3)What type filter or holder would I use for this lens? (4) Where can I buy a lens Hood for the 101? And (5) In 35mm format I use the 50mm and a 135mm lens, what would be the equivalent with this camera...Gene
Les

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-17 07:33, genedonna wrote:
I just bought a Graflex Pacemaker Speed Graphic with a 101 Tessar lens. (1)Is this a good quality lens? (2) Is this a good lens for Landscape, scenic type shots? (3)What type filter or holder would I use for this lens? (4) Where can I buy a lens Hood for the 101? And (5) In 35mm format I use the 50mm and a 135mm lens, what would be the equivalent with this camera...Gene

(1)yes this is a very good lens, the only one better for the time was the 105mm and it's much more expensive.
(2) Yes
(3) You'll need a 1 5/16" or 31mm press on series VI adapter and Series VI filters, lens shades and polarisers/pola-screens. These can be found on ebay or in the junk drawer of the old photo emporium near you.
(4) see above

(5) If you are going to shoot 6x9 (2 1/4x 3 1/4) then the 101 is the same as a 50 and the 135 would be a 270mm lens. If you are shooting 6x7 then the 101 is equal to a 56mm lens on 35mm camera. And the equivelent of a 135 would be closer to 250mm.
Wollensak made a 250mm tele lens for this camera and either Rodenstock or Schneider made a 270mm tele lens. The problem is that with only 8 3/4" of bellows I don't know how close you will be able to focus with either of these lenses. If you are doing portraits, you might be better off with an 8" tele, if you are doing landscape then either of the longer lenses will be fine.
genedonna

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the information, it helped a lot. I'm sure i'll have many more questions in the future...Gene
hartwell_a_m

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the series VI filters you will have the best selection and price at a photo fair, do a web search under photo fair or camera show to find one near you. With photo fairs/camera shows you dont need to out bid other people and thus the prices are better.
genedonna

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, however i'm in need of, and would like to obtain these items ASAP. I'm just having a problem locating them. Thanks again...Gene

[ This Message was edited by: genedonna on 2002-02-17 11:14 ]

[ This Message was edited by: genedonna on 2002-02-17 11:23 ]
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to contradict Les, but the 1-5/16" series VI is a 33mm slip ring. The 31.5 slip ring is 1-1/4". I own both of these, and that's what the markings on them say. You can measure across the front element at its widest to confirm which of these you need. Camera shows are the best place to acquire this stuff, but what do you do if there aren't any near you, at a time when you need them? I fear that ebay is driving these shows out of existence. The two organizations that sponsor shows in my area haven't announced any winter or spring shows---most unusual!
genedonna

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the info, I'll keep looking...Gene
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: