Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Top finder on crown, am I doing it wrong?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Padeye

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my first Graphic today, an early fifties Crown, s/n 880476 if anyone can tell me when it was made. Haven't gotten a lens yet but am havinfg fun familiarizing myself with it. All the bits and pieces seem to work as far as I can tell without a lens except for the top finder. The mechanism seems pretty straightforward, the cam does move the eyepiece to correct for parallax . The problem is the aperture is so huge, about 6.5mm, that it has no effect. With my eye close enough to see through the viewfinder moving the adjustment has no visual effect.

At any rate I won't be using that finder much at all as I bought the camera as an entry level view. I may just keep it and the Kalart rangefinder in storage so I have a more portable package for use in the field. All a moot point until I get some film holders and a lens anway.
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visit ebay for used lens. Always several to choose from. New film holders are not that much and used ones can have problems.
You'll need a good light meter if you don't have one.
The range finder is a split image type. Try focusing on an object with sharp verticle lines, door frame, you should see an off set when not focused, none when focused. Different cams are required for different lens.

The extreme right is an optical view finder, allows one to center image hand held with film holder in place. Not for focusing!

Happy shooting.
Charles

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2002-02-08 15:23 ]
Padeye

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm keeping an eye out for lenses and will probably start with a modern but used 135mm if I can find one. I'll take your advice on film holders too. No sense in getting big negs just to scratch them.

This one has the kalart rangefinder on the right side and it works. I know the top finder is not for focusing but the cam is supposed to correct for parallax. Problem is even though the cam moves and the rear aperture moves it has no visual effect on what I see. The aperture is so big that it doesn't obstruct my pupil in any position.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daaa...Uhhhh....
Yea it is verry hard to determine what difference the aperature makes, usually a slight shift in image position and I do mean slight. The fact that it's there and turns suggests that it works.
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1331576130, a 90mm f6.8 optar.
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1331563224, schneider 180 convertable, typical condition, usually easy to repair, several post as how to do it yourself.
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1331449102, clean Linoff 150, an example of the other caliber.

These were listed as examples of what to expect.

Used film holders in like or near new condition are ok, most used have sticky dark slides, worn light seals ect.

NOW will one of those special people date the serial #??

Charles

45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention this elsewhere in this site, may be of help.

http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/viewfinder-masks.html

Gandolf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: