Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflok Back Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fromans77

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, let me thank the folks in these forums for all the good advice on choosing a Graflex. It's good to know there are this many people out there passionate about old film cameras!

Here is my question:
I just bought a Graflok back for my recently acquired Speed Graphic. I took it apart and gave it a good thorough cleaning. Everything seems to be in good working order, but the removable ground glass piece is really hard to remove. I understand that you are supposed to focus and then remove this piece in order to mount a polaroid or roll-film back. Even as sturdy as my tripod is, I don't think I could remove this piece without altering the position of the camera. Am I doing something wrong?

I have "messed with" (That's technical camera talk!) the hooks that connect to the springs and cannot find anything that should prevent it from coming off. But when it is mounted and I push down on the hooks, it still doesn't slide off easily. Sorry for the long message. Thank, Scott.

45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,
Read the Service Manual .
With focus panel removed, check for burs or other obstructions along the edgesof the back and focus panel.
Check lock lever ends for excessive wear.
Check Graflok sliders for proper installation.
Lube slide areas with parafin or graphite.
Charles

primus96

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just took the screen off my 4x5 Crown Graphic. Unlocking those hooks is stiff on mine too. Just push the hooks down and slide the frame of the screen sideways.
I wanted to see how difficult it was to fit a Linhof Super Rollex back. The Linhof back does have rollers for film flatness.
I wouldn't want to use anything but a little pencil graphite to make it easierto remove the screen.
troublemaker

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the Graflok in place, check to see that the lock arms of the panel do not interfere with the Graflok slide bar locks and also that the slide bars are completely moved to their most open position.
I have come across a few of these panels where the chrome lock arms are slightly bent and this causes the panel to be harder to remove and replace. If this is the case they can be very carefully straightened, but stress the "very carefully".
Also, with the panel removed, place a small drop of penetrating lube at the four points where the axel rod of the lock arms run through the casting of the panel at the ends of the coil springs. Add a small amount to the coil springs also. LEt panel sit for a spell, then manipualte the arms and wipe away excess lube. This helps as the arms do become stiff after a time, esspecially on cameras that have sat in storage for a long time and become corroded etc...
When out shooting, and removing the panel after your compostion is set up, holder the camera like a big sandwich and press the ribbed lock arms with the thumbs and slide the panel to the right thusly being careful not to move the camera or drop the panel and thereby breaking the GG. Also support the camera with the hands when replacing.
A good fitting and lubed focus panel should slide in and lock with a positive snap and be removed easily, but still requires the fingers to steady the set up. Also the panel can be left in place for using most standard size film holders and Polaroid backs. When using them, always make use of the Graflok slide bars where possible as this will also help prevent unwanted light leaks when removing slides and quik-load sleevs etc... Also, the polaroid back isheavy and will fall out if not loccked in palce. Same for grafmatics, but often it may be better to remove the panel and use only the slide loocks to take some weight off the camera for hand-holding shoots...
fromans77

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your replies. I'll try some of the suggestions and let you know how it turned out.

Scott
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: