Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What size are 3x4 film holders

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sauerwald

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a new (to me) Crown View, with a 3x4 spring back. I am in the process of adapting another 4x5 back to the camera so that I can use it for 4x5, but I thought that I would try running some 3x4 film through the camera too. I bought a box of 3x4 from J&C, I loaded the film holders that came with the camera, and then found that the film holders do not fit in the back.

The film holders are 4.21" wide, by 5.6" long, the space on the back where the film holder is supposed to go is 4.08" wide, by 5.5" long.

The film holders are marked Folmer Graflex 3 1/4 x 4 1/4, they are wood, in good condition.

The back is original to the camera, also marked as Folmer Graflex.

If anybody has 3x4 film holders which are a different size than mine, I'd appreciate info, also if anybody knows what is going on here - HELP!

Thanks
bartsf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beleive you have Graflex holders and your camera uses Graphic holders. Both are 3.25 x 4.25 but the Folmer Graphic Co used two systems. The Graflex holder also have a slot on the long side. The Grapic back should have a spring mounted ground glass panel. Interestingly (or confusingly) F-G would provided either style back in both 3x4 and 4x5 for the Crown View.
sauerwald

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - that is it, I do have the slot along the long edge of the holders, and I do have a spring back for 3x4.

I guess the Graflex Gods just don't want me to use 3x4!

I will keep my eyes open for the other film holders.

I also found a 4x5 back that I will be able to adapt to the camera, so I will at least be able to try it out with some 4x5 film.

If anybody needs some Graflex holders, let me know, I might make you a deal!
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do your 3x4 film holders have the light trap ridge, Graphic film holder type, or do they have the Graflex valley?
3x4 film holders with Graphic Ridge light trap and flat sides: 4 inches x 6 1/16 inches + 1/4 inch for the top of the darkslide (metal top type); film opening:3 3/32 x 4 1/32.
In the top plate under the darkslide:3 1/4 x 4 1/4 Graphic Film Holder Type 5.

Just checked, Ritz Camera list them under Large format Accessories for $15 ea. I cannot vouch for the quality of what they have but you would only be out the shipping both ways if you did not like them. Watch ebay also, they do show up there.
Charles

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2006-04-21 18:50 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: