Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wide lens for 8X10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disemjg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for something wider than my 7 1/2" WF Ektar, and just got shocked by the price for the current 150 Super Symmar XL Aspheric (and I love the center filter for just over $1K).

I had thought that the 120 SA would do the trick, but it will not cover. The 150 Nikkor SW looks good but I have not found one yet, and I doubt they're cheap.

Any recommendations for something more practical? Old is good, but it has to be significantly wider than my Ektar.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wollensak 159mm f9/f12.5 EWA in various shutters.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Wollensak-159mm-EWA-Lens-Alphax-Shutter-8x10_W0QQitemZ7610118207QQcategoryZ30076QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

RichS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 159 Wolly seems to be the standard non-new sugegstion and it's a great lens. I love mine.

The 150 SW should cover easily and sometimes can be found at reasonable prices.

The widest lens I could find (semi-afforable) for 8x10 is the Nikkor 120 SW. It's probably the nicest piece of glass I've ever seen.

The 120 (and 121) Super Angulons do cover 8x10 but just barely and can sometimes be found fairly reasonable.

It all really depends on what you consider reasoble or affordable. When I searched for a w-i-d-e lens, I grabbed the Nikkor 120 SW. Mostly because at the time I couldn't find a 120(121)SA at a decent price and I did find the Nikkor at a reasonable price. In the meantime, I picked up the 159 Wolly, but it wasn't quite wide enough.

The 159's have gone from 100 through 350 in range, so it's possible to grab one cheap. The 120(121) SA'a tend to go above 600. The 120 Nikkor goes just a bit higher. I haven't really kept track lately though and prices can change overnight...

And to be completely honest, that 120 Nikkor turned out to be really W-I-D-E and I hardly ever use it. Great if you're backed against a wall or want a panorama, but watch out for the distortion (cirlse turning into eggs)...

disemjg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remembered the 159 Wolly after I racked up for the night; I should have thought of it as I had one as my first LF lens, on a 4X Cambo. So I thought that kind of covering power was customary! The only one I can find right now is at the high end of the price range, and in a Betax at that, so I'll keep looking. The Nikkor 150 may be the best bet, and Midwest had one (gone) for about 450 which is OK. And I would expect that the 120 would be violently wide, and distracting. So I'm going to be on the lookout for the Wolly or the Nikkor, and grab the first one at the right price that shows up.
RichS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheaper 159's do pop up now and then. Unfortunately, they've gotten a reputation recently and people look for them now...

450 for a Nikkor 150 seems awfully cheap. Are you sure that was a 150 SW? A standard 150 won't cover 8x10...

Another option is the 165 SA. It's been the standard wide lens for 8x10 for the longest time. I'd sure love to find one someday myself...

Good luck with the hunt!

David A. Goldfarb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another older WA is the 120mm/f:14 Berthiot Perigraphe. It usually comes in barrel with wheel stops, but you can have it adapted to a shutter. Mine is in an Ilex 3, but I'd bet it could fit in a Copal 0. Here's a sample photo--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: